2.8.1 course backup fails to restore to different 2.8.1 install

2.8.1 course backup fails to restore to different 2.8.1 install

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 2

I backed up a course I made in my 2.8.1 test site (.mbz file). Tried to restore it in my live 2.8.1 site by dropping it in the upload box in Site admin > Courses > Course Restore.

Server info: Using a Moodle Partner with Linux server using PHP 5.5.19. Any wisdom much appreciated.

Got this Debug message:

Debug info:
Error code: tmp_backup_directory_not_found
$a contents: [tempdir]/backup/6dc41d821874cef404a72c64640bd832
Stack trace:
  • line 140 of /backup/util/helper/convert_helper.class.php: convert_helper_exception thrown
  • line 291 of /backup/util/helper/backup_general_helper.class.php: call to convert_helper::detect_moodle2_format()
  • line 298 of /backup/util/ui/restore_ui_stage.class.php: call to backup_general_helper::detect_backup_format()
  • line 123 of /backup/restore.php: call to restore_ui_stage_confirm->display()
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clay Burell

Re: 2.8.1 course backup fails to restore to different 2.8.1 install

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, since you are hosted with a Moodle Partner, have you contacted them about the problem?

IF you have access to the moodledata folder/directory, see if there is a directory named 'temp'.  Inside there should be a 'backup' directory.   If they are not there, create them.   Make sure they have the same ownerships/permissions as the other folders/directories in moodledata.

Comment: rather strange those directories are missing.   Again ... Moodle Partner.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: 2.8.1 course backup fails to restore to different 2.8.1 install

by Clay Burell -
Thanks, Ken. I've sent to MP and will report back any learnings.