Lessons available only in one language

Lessons available only in one language

by Saeed Amiri -
Number of replies: 4

Hi

I have a bilingual Moodle website and have made several courses which can be translated into another language. What I would like to know is if I can restrict a lesson in a course to be accessed only in English language. The menus still need to be translated into the other language, but the content of the lessons must be available only in English language.

Are there any such features available in Moodle to do this?

BTW, it's Moodle 2.7.

Regards

Saeed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Saeed Amiri

Re: Lessons available only in one language

by Stuart Mealor -

Have you actually tried this?

Moodle can display content such as menus in different languages, but it's not going to translate the content of a Lesson.  If the Lesson is created in English, that is what everyone will see.

In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Saeed Amiri -
@Stuart Mealor. 

Hi. Thanks for responding. I sure have already tried enough of that feature. I think I didn't explain it well or rather I shouldn't have referred to translation at all. What I meant was that Moodle shifts the content of a lesson to the right for my other language as it is an RTL, as it assumes I have already translated the content. And Moodle has the span tags, as you know, for the same purpose, where you put the translated content of the other language(s) in it. But because I am using Moodle for teaching English language, the content of the lessons do not have to be translated to the other language. An example may shed some light on it:

Suppose the title of a course is "Where are you from?". When a student chooses "English" as the website's language, everything's fine, but when the RTL language is chosen, then, the title is displayed like "?where are you from" with the question mark shifted to the beginning of the question. So I just thought maybe that's a good idea to restrict the lessons to English language so that the students can view them only in English in which things are displayed correctly. The menus and every thing else should still be available in the student's mother tongue, though, because the students, especially the elementary ones, can that way get better familiar with the website's different features, etc. 

My makeshift solution to the problem has been to use span tags and css styling. But that is really time consuming and maybe not the best solution. So I wonder if there is any possibility to do what I originally asked in my question.

Regards

Saeed

In reply to Saeed Amiri

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
See "how to translat courses content in multiple languages" https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=257565 in the "Languages" forum https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=43.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Saeed Amiri -

@Visvanath Ratnaweera. Hi. Thanks for the links. Actually, I already know how to translate content with the use of span tags. Any hope I could probably restrict the access to the lesson only through English language or even better accessible through the other language as well but with every thing shifted to the left exactly the way it is displayed in English language? I have explained why I need this in my reply to Stuart Mealor.

Regards

Saeed