How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av hans erlandsson -
Antal svar: 11

Hi all!

If I rollout a set of questions in a quiz I would like to provide the possibility for the students to notify me/other teachers/anyone regarding questions errors (if they are mis-spelled, vague, wrong answer etc) - as a way to have the students to participate in a kind of crowd-based-quality-enhancement. 

I have been exploring the somewhat open ended "question flagging" functionality and would like something similar: pressing the flag would open up a dialogue box where the student provides a message, a message which is sent to the inbox for the person responsible (with a link to the question for immediate editing). Pls see attached sample from eFront.

Can this be achieved in some way in Moodle? 

Bilaga errorreporting_sample.png
Genomsnitt av betyg: -
Som svar till hans erlandsson

Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av Tim Hunt -
Bild på Core developers Bild på Documentation writers Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Peer reviewers Bild på Plugin developers

(Dear moderator, please could you move this to the Quiz forum.)

You are not the first person to ask for this. And it is not currently possible. Asking your students to use the flags to mark questions they are not sure of is the best you can do.

The teacher can see all the flags in the quiz reports.

And to communicate between students and teachers, you can use Moodle's built in messaging system.

Som svar till Tim Hunt

Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av Marcus Green -
Bild på Core developers Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Plugin developers Bild på Testers

To answer the title of the question humorously...

"By tutting and shrugging, or in the vocational groups, by grumbling that this quiz is rubbish".....

Som svar till Tim Hunt

Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av hans erlandsson -

Thanks.  You don´t happen to have any suggestion for any kind of "workaround" to achieve the same effect (for example enabling an empty field for "Comments" for each question/question type etc)? 

Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av Germán Valero -
Bild på Documentation writers Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Plugin developers Bild på Testers Bild på Translators

Hi Hans,

Maybe you could include one extra essay question per quiz, with 0 marks/points, with instructions along the lines of 'Please write comments to notify the teacher about any mistakes/ambiguities in the questions of this quiz'.

Som svar till Germán Valero

Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av dawn alderson -

Hi,

Marcus stort leende

Let us consider one thing folks-if a teacher does not know how to pitch a question...I have added three full stops there.

I can't continue to engage sorry....tis page 1 honestly-I would recommend some teacher training-before any encounter with an LMS...really pajas 

Som svar till dawn alderson

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av hans erlandsson -

I have personally added some +10k of questions in our current LMS and - even though being thorough - there´s been errors while adding them. Enabling the "Report error"-function in our current LMS (see screendump in first post) I´ve had a great flow of really useful/adequate feedback/new ideas as well as error reports from our students (the error messages has been sent directly to my inbox with a clickable link to the question making it able to edit the question/save it and thereby gradually enhancing the quality of our questions). 

What I am looking for in Moodle is some equivivalent functionality/loop in order to achieve the same quality enhancement effect (as well as engaging our students).

Dawn: I have some recommendations for you too, but let me pass them along to you through a personal PM or something. 

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av Hartmut Scherer -
Hi Hans,

The solution that German Valero proposed, is probably the fastest and least complicated.

When I thought about the report functionality, I was reminded of Frankie Kam's presentation Soup up i moot quiz with javascript css j-query (15th may 2014). You could replace the "help" button that he added to every question and adapt it for your report functionality. 

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av dawn alderson -

Hi Hans,

No need to pm me, tis ok, you can place what you want to say here-I would rather that, so others can be involved too leende

I must apologise-however, what I wrote may have come across as flippant, Marcus's fault I am afraid leende

Anyway, I still stand by my point about pitching prompts at the right level for the learner, let me give you an example:

You know a firefighter right...well before they slide down the pole to get to a call...they first have to put on their protective kit...and get it right....otherwise if the breathing apparatus is not on properly well that is a different outcome eh....now if a teacher gets to the LMS and forgets how to pitch at the right level...you know like ummm asking 7 year olds about Newton's equations for example or asking 14-15 year olds the capital of America-given that the same 14 year olds can design software and games and are so up to speed with technology-how on earth can anyone expect them to sit and click Washington on a Monday morning at 11 am? And be whole-heartedly engaged. 

I am with Tim on this flags sound great idea across the board.  Lack of nouce on part of the teacher is a different matter.

D

av Tim Hunt -
Bild på Core developers Bild på Documentation writers Bild på Particularly helpful Moodlers Bild på Peer reviewers Bild på Plugin developers

Are you using one of the standard Moodle Themes, or have you done a custom one?

I ask because I think the easiest way to implement this would be in a custom theme, so that it then appears on every page in the site. A link "report a problem on this page" that opens the popup to send the email (including teh URL of the current page) when you click it.

There are probably other ways too, but they all involve writing a bit of code - unless someone else can point you to a plugin that already exists that I am not aware of.

Som svar till Tim Hunt

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av hans erlandsson -

In our current LMS (eFront, which btw on the total is a "spot on" for us in terms of the featuritis curve) a general "Report error" functionality is activated/deactivated on a lesson level. When activated, the result is, that the UI is populated/cluttered with small yellow triangles every here and there (as you are suggesting Tim) . The great thing is, that when the enduser activates a test, a yellow triangle is added for each question and as soon as the yellow triangle is called upon from a certain question, the PM sent to me has the question-specific link mentioned above... and that link is the CSF for a smooth loop. Furthermore, assuming that the students approach (enjoying movies, interactions, tests etc while proceeding) follows some kind of normal distribution curve I try to follow what the "eager beavers" send to me in real time. If I manage to act upon the provided feedback immediately (and it is a good investment to do so) the consequence is, that the "late followers" (activating the same test some time after the eager ones) therefore sees another - improved - version of the same test.

I installed Moodle 2.7.1 and exchanged the theme to Essentials. 

Now, to conclude, I guess either... 

• jot around with the used theme/ the "help-button-trick" as suggested above
  • pass along some kind of RFC to the Moodle-developers 
  • and/or have a plugin manifactured 

...will solve this for me (and Frankie Kam seems to be quite skilled leende thanks Hartmut: excellent reference / very useful walkthrough). German Valeros suggestion is a really quick-n-dirty one, however by default I use to scramble question order as well as answer-order + show the questions 1-by-1 which would place that txt-question somewhere random in the question order which will confuse more than solve the issue.

Based on the info in the thread so far: there is at least no obious-out-of-the-box-functionality which I have missed which is good to know.

Svar: Re: Svar: Re: Svar: Re: How do a student notify a teacher that a certain question is erratic?

av hans erlandsson -

Hi all!

Just to follow up on this topic: looked around a little bit more and found one solution (student view / teacher view / webpage) bundled into a customized theme. This seem to represent ~100% of what we are looking for however the developer of this theme is unfortunately occupied in another project currently.