Turnitin Moodle Direct version 2 | 2.8

Turnitin Moodle Direct version 2 | 2.8

by Derek Chirnside -
Number of replies: 7

I have done some searching, but I cannot find out an answer to the question "What is the state of the play for Moodle 2.8 and TII Direct V2?"

Working? In Beta? No plans announced?

Any ideas?

-Derek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Derek Chirnside

Re: Turnitin Moodle Direct version 2 | 2.8

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

bad Derek cross-posting... smile

use the "develop" branch in their github repo here:

https://github.com/jmcgettrick/MoodleDirectV2/tree/develop

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Derek Chirnside -

Well, medium bad cross posting maybe.  I figured if I asked questions about 2.8 in a 40 post thread as well as questions about 2.6 I'd confuse everyone.  How come a big multinational like TII can't keep a few simple details in a read me current?  (Don't answer that, we all hate writing the documentation)

So just to confirm: this version of TII is working with 2.8?

-Derek

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

hehe - It's been working on my dev environment and it definitely works with 2.7 

Turnitin provides downloadable packages for all their integrations from the admin panel when you login to the Turnitin admin interface - from what I understand these packages are updated very infrequently as it is tied to a website update process which seems to take ages to happen. The moodle.org plugins db entries are updated at the same time as this occurs.

In the meantime - John is regularly updating the code in the "develop" branch on github as well as many other Moodle community members who are filling pull requests to improve the code.

I think there's a realisation at Turnitin that this is not a good process due to the time-frames updating the turnitin.com site and the moodle.org plugins database and I'm hoping at some point Turnitin management will sort it out.

In reply to Dan Marsden

by John McGettrick -

Hi Derek/Dan,

We've performed initial testing on 2.8 and everything appears to be fine. We don't officially support it yet though as we still need to do some more in-depth testing.

As Dan says, the latest version that has been through QA is on the develop branch of github. Develop is perhaps a somewhat erroneous name for the branch as it implies a non supported release. This isn't ideal and going forward from this week I will be updating moodle.org and the master branch to keep pace with the latest available release.

Regards

John

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to John McGettrick

by Derek Chirnside -

John, Hi, I got involved with TII at my place of work on Monday.  I've not found it easy to follow the documentation and get current information. 

1. Is there a nice concise and clear place to go to get up to date information?
  2. If we are tinkering with 2.8 plus TII plugin what is the best place to go to talk?
  3. When will you do some indepth testing?

Good news about your updating GIT

-Derek

by John McGettrick -

1. All of our manuals have been collated at http://guides.turnitin.com or you could find them through our website: http://turnitin.com/en_us/support/integrations/overview. If you watch the github page then that's the first place that the updated plugin will be available from.

2. The best thing would be to either message me through here or raise an issue on the github page.

3. Hopefully soon, I have a feature to add in in the next few weeks which will be put through QA against 2.8.

John

In reply to John McGettrick

by Dan Marsden -

Hey John - that is really great news, it's going to cut back the number of e-mail complaints I get about Turnitin support too smile