Always show Group and Grouping availability conditions

Always show Group and Grouping availability conditions

by Daniel Neis Araujo -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hello,

working with some teachers here at Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Brazil, we have found that the fact of hidding the "group" and "grouping" availability conditions if there is no groups or groupings on the course is not the best approach and can lead to teacher thinking something may be wrong (they don't exactly remember of not having setting up groups yet).

So we proposed some changes to the interface at MDL-48183

As it is a matter of usability, Moodle team would like to know from us what we think.

There is a more detailed exposition of pros and cons on the tracker.

Any contributions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Neis Araujo

Re: Always show Group and Grouping availability conditions

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Come here following your post on the Community Sites forum and visiting the tracker you refer to Daniel

I think in this instance I'm with Sam's comments on the tracker - One of the biggest issues I have to deal with is staff saying there are too many options they dont need throughout Moodle. That has been improved massively since the collapsed sections were added in most admin/settings pages a few versions ago now, and personally I'd rather deal with the relatively few people who want to use a feature and just need to be told (or pointed to a help video) how to turn it on or where to find it, than the larger number that see it and don't want it and go away with a reinforced idea of Moodle being more complex than it necessarily is.

A personal opinion - I don't (always) see that making everything available is a benefit to usability in all cases. In this instance the fact that the groups/groupings availability is not visible when the tutor has no groups makes perfect sense to me in decluttering the interface for most users.

Look forward to hearing what others have to say though and other opinons on this!