Manual grading by student plugin

Manual grading by student plugin

by Jeff Finnan -
Number of replies: 23

Hi All,

I want to make sure that I put this plugin in the correct direction. I should unzip it in the mod/quiz/report directory, correct?

Thanks,

Jeff

2.6.3+ (Build: 20140515)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeff Finnan

Re: Manual grading by student plugin

by dawn alderson -

Well yes Jeffrey....be nice to know what it is you think the plugin will do to enhance student learning eh.

Being very honest-at my peril!  Such creativity/innovation-nice....but you need an audience that values what you are putting out there........so come on sell it to us-what do you have in mind eh? Otherwise....you run risk of being 1000000000000000.000000000000 plugin on the list that teachers scroll through......or admins tune into....out of sheer language buzz.....now I am being realistic-not rude here.

What is it Jeffrey? What will it do to enhance my teaching and the student experience?

cheers,

Dawn

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

I got itchy to try this. If I do unzip it in the report directory and update, it shows up right under manual grading in the Quiz admin block. However, when I click on it, all I get is a blank screen. Should I put the plugin elsewhere? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is the right place to put it.

If you are getting a blank screen, turn on Debugging. Then you should get an error message that tells you what the problem is.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Tim,

After turning on Debugging and clicking on Manual Grading by student the screen now shows this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function quiz_has_questions() in /home/jfinnanc/public_html/shs/moodle2/mod/quiz/report/gradingstudents/report.php on line 95

Hope this provides some insight.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Which version of this plugin are you trying to use? I think you need to be using version 1.2 of the plugin (the most recent) available from https://moodle.org/plugins/pluginversions.php?plugin=quiz_gradingstudents.

(Looking at what changed, the function name is mentioned: https://github.com/moodleou/moodle-quiz_gradingstudents/compare/v1.1...v1.2 )

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Tim,

<<<Which version of this plugin are you trying to use?>>>

I am using 1.2 which I downloaded and installed the other day.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -

Ah! I may have got things the wrong way around. It may well be that you need version 1.1 of the plugin for Moodle 2.6, and I screwed up when I said that version 1.2 was compatible.

Are you in a position to test version 1.1 of the plugin with Moodle 2.6? If you can confirm that works, I will fix up the details in the plugins database.

I am very sorry I made that mistake and wasted your time, but I have about 30+ plugins in the database I am responsible for, so one mistake is not too bad a percentage. (Actually, I probably ought to check the other two quiz reports, to make sure I did not make the same mistake.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Tim,

Yep, put in 1.1 per your suggestion and it works.

However, the presentation was not completely what I expected.

gradingByStudent

It does not indicate which student is which. When I go into a specific one, I thought it did not show the name of the student at first. On a second peak I noticed that the student name is listed at the very top if I click on attempt 1. If I click on grade all, it does present all five questions to grade but it does not show the student.  I wished it would show the student in the list above and would show the when grading all.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -

This is a side-effect of this report being created by the OU, for the OU's own purposes. We wanted (mostly) anonymous marking. Therefore, this report is coded to show each student's ID number, not their name.

If you want to change this, you would need to change:

(I think that is all you need to do. Please test before using that for real.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by dawn alderson -

Oh dear-yes yes got it now.

Sorry Jeff, this is a plug in up and running eh.

I do think there was a bit of sense in what I wrote though, in that I maintain the world of plugins for Moodle (versions-compatibility) could be better classified/more accessible in terms of what works with what...across the docs.  I mean, you know when you use software-oh I don't know say...Mozilla or whatever-often when I have tried to do something-hang on - a better example is Google docs....then a pop-up appears saying you need this plugin etc...and to use a plugin is just a matter of simple downloading activity.

Now, I am not sure about the pop-up prompts in moodle....but otherwise if absent-then the docs are key eh-in terms of aiding the user. Another example that explicates info in such a way-is when I annotated the quiz question forms-with a certain plug-in's blurb/ideas for practice....I think I posted that doc here somewhere.....anyway, sharing the language/capabilities/functionailty and on in the docs might possibly be more explicit-more joined up perhaps....a list of plugins to me is like a shopping list....instead of purchasing though I decide which I want to spend my time finding out about to enhance my practice/pedagogy ....as a teacher.   

Just some thoughts.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Tim,

I went in to make line changes you suggested but got error reading to the database. There are two spots where 'u.idnumber' shows up in L378. I changed both of them to 'u.*'. I reverted back to original report.php and is now working as before. Oh, well.

The particular questions I pose are more conceptual short answer (essay) and I want to get into my students' heads at times. I almost always give full credit except when they are clearly feeding me a line of crap. I can do that doing question by question but I thought that sometimes it would be nice to look at a few students wholly.

Thanks,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -

Don't change both, only the one I pointed to. ORDER BY u.* is probably meaningless. You may want to change it to ORDER BY u.lastname.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Jeff Finnan -

Hey Tim,

Success. Thanks much. After first success, changed ORDER BY u.lastname by too. 

gradingByStudent1

Thanks again,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Tim,

Just wanted to say this has proved useful for me. I usually grade question by question. However, when I have a few late ones to do, it is handier to grade by student. Sometimes, I will also go back and look at a student's response to the whole list of questions to get better insight into thinking.

Thanks again,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Tim Hunt -

Well, thanks should really go to my colleague Mahmoud Kassaei. He is the person who built this plugin.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Vickie Anderson -

Hi,

I am new to the world of editing plugins. If I change these lines in the report file and then repackage that in to a zip in order to install the plugin, I get an error of 'Error: File Version.php not found.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Vickie

In reply to Vickie Anderson

by Tim Hunt -

No idea.

What you need to do is to make a careful comparison of the zip file you made, and one downloaded from the Moodle plugins DB. E.g. unzip them each into separate folders, and then compare. (A tool like http://winmerge.org might help with that.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Halverson -

Hello Tim,

I too would like to be able to see the student names as I grade all the students.  (I need to compare some paper-based work with their Moodle work.)

How would I make the changes to my existing installation?

I am running Moodle 2.9.3+ (Build: 20160108)

Manual grading by student
quiz_gradingstudents
Additional    2015051000    v1.3 for Moodle 2.6+

On a Hostmonster VPS server.  (Centos)

Thank you very much,

Peter Halverson

In reply to Peter Halverson

by Tim Hunt -

Well, you replied to the post where I gave the outline instructions. What else are you asking?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Halverson -
Well,  in my current installation, I can't determine what files to change.  In your outlline instructions you said to modify this

but I don't use github, and I don't know where the files that need changing would be.

by Tim Hunt -

You don't need to change anything on github. That is just a useful place online where the code can be seen, so I can indicate which line of code needs to be changed.

You your Moodle site, the code will be inside your Moodle install at .../mod/quiz/report/gradingstudents/report.php.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Peter Halverson -

Hello again Tim, and everyone,

I was able to get the list of quiz attempts to display with the student names, thanks to your help.

However, it appears that some changes to report.php have happened since the original posts, so here is what I had to do to make it work for my Moodle 2.9.3 installation.

I edited moodle/mod/quiz/report/gradingstudents/report.php

I searched for "u.idnumber",  and found it in two places.  The first place was around line number 388, in a line that read

"qa.preview, qa.state, u.idnumber"      (it was part of a sql SELECT command)

I changed this line to be "qa.preview, qa.state, u.firstname, u.lastname"

The 2nd place was a few lines down, and it read "ORDER BY u.idnumber ASC, attemptid ASC";

I changed this line to be ORDER BY u.lastname ASC, u.firstname ASC, attemptid ASC";

I search for "$row[] = format_string($attempt->idnumber);" and found it around line 222.

I changed it to "$row[] = fullname($attempt);"          (This part was exactly as Tim explained)

And it works!

The main difference seems to be that I had to include the first name.  If I didn't do that, then some weird looking php stuff came out on the list of attempts.

---Peter H.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)

by Adam Jacobi -

This was invaluable in Moodle 3.0.3, Peter! Thank you!!!