Allowing Non-Editing Teachers to Manually enroll students

Allowing Non-Editing Teachers to Manually enroll students

by Emily Kirkpatrick -
Number of replies: 10

I am using Moodle 2.8 and cannot figure out how to edit the permissions for the non-editing teacher role to allow them to enroll students themselves.  We have a structure where we need to allow teachers to enroll students, but not make any other changes to course material. I've allowed for everything in the list of possible permissions related to enrollment, but I can't seem to get it to work.  Am I missing something?  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emily Kirkpatrick

Re: Allowing Non-Editing Teachers to Manually enroll students

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

do you have any of these set as Allow?

enrol/manual:manage

enrol/self:config

enrol/self:manage

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Provasnik

by Emily Kirkpatrick -

Yes, all three are enabled.

by John Provasnik -

Alright, here's what I've got so far after some testing.

1-- moodle/course:enrolreview
change to YES

2 -- enrol/manual:enrol
change to  YES

3 -- enrol/manual:unenrol
Yes or No (optional)

4 -- moodle/role:assign
change to YES

Then, under Site Admin -> Users --> Permissions --> Define Roles,

switch to the Allow Role Assignments tab.

From there, find the role you are adjusting, and make sure it has that this role can assign the student role checked off.

Let me know how that works for you.

Average of ratings: Useful (5)

by Emily Kirkpatrick -

You are a genius, that worked!  Now I just have to get a handle on groups and I'll be all set.

Thank you so so so much!

by Emily Kirkpatrick -

Follow up question for you:

I've got my non-editing teacher role able to enroll students.  Is there any way to do the following?

• Add users (only to the group to which the teacher belongs)
  • Enroll users only from that group

Basically what I am trying to avoid is this role having access to the full list of users.  

Any advice you could offer would be great.  Thanks!

by John Provasnik -

Hmm... Stumped me.

Are you meaning, you only want these teachers to be able to enroll a specific group of students in a Moodle course (so when they click on the Enroll button in a course, they would only see a predetermined set of students)? ...that I'm not sure about.

by Emily Kirkpatrick -

Pretty much, yes.  Ultimately we want to create training groups that are isolated from each other.  Only managers and admins would see everyone.  Everyone else would be in groups and as far as they know, the only fellow Moodlers would be the people in their group.

I've been wildly unsuccessful in setting this up.  Beginning to think I'm out of luck.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

So you can't have it both ways.  Either they can only see within the group or they can enroll students.  Enrolling students mean they have to be able to see all students because they cannot be in a group until after they have enrolled.

However, the separate groups on its own works great.  First you set your course to separate groups and force it so that every activity is also set that way.  Then, for your non-editing teacher, you remove the permission for See All Groups.  This will limit them to the group they are assigned to and they will only see the students within that group.

The only thing you might be able to do is allow your non-editing teachers to do a CSV upload for enrollment and make sure that they include their group within the upload file.  This might allow them to enroll students into their group and then they would only be able to see them because they would still be limited to the group.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Emily Kirkpatrick -

Hi Emma!

I am trying to get the csv enrollment working, but am on 2.8.  I haven't had any luck with the plugins, any suggestions?

I think I will just have to go to plan B at this point, but I really appreciate all the help!

by Catherine Pinnell -

Hey there John. Just a shout out to you on the instructions. They helped me solve an issue very quickly.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it's very appreciated!