Gradebook Categories Missing after Import/Backup Restore

Gradebook Categories Missing after Import/Backup Restore

by Mary Beth McKee -
Number of replies: 2

We are using Moodle 2.7.1+ (Build: 20140807).

Depending on the tool that teachers use to copy content from one course to another, they are losing the gradebook setup from the original course.  By this, I mean I mean they lose any categories or aggregration changes they made.  If they used a sum of points in the original course, the content moved to the new class would change back the aggregation to the site default of Simple Weighted Mean.

Test Types I Tried

• Restore adding to (merge)
  • Restore overwrite
  • Import - full course
  • Import - partial, leaving items out

Results

• Restore adding to (No categories, reverted to default aggregation)
  • Restore overwrite (No categories, reverted to default aggregation)
  • Import - full course (Retained categories and sum aggregation the professor set) - WINNER!
  • Import - partial, leaving items out (No categories, reverted to default aggregation)

For faculty who want to retain an existing gradebook setup, I found that you have to import the entire class, and then delete any unwanted items after the import.

Have others seen this issue?

Thanks for any leads in advance.

Mary Beth

In reply to Mary Beth McKee

Re: Gradebook Categories Missing after Import/Backup Restore

by Malcolm Abel -
My experience has been that if you import all the assessment items from the original course the Gradebook is setup is it was before, assuming they are imported into a blank course. Don't need to import users, just the assessment items.

If any of the assessment items are left out, Moodle seems unable to complete the Gradebook setup and the remaining items are reset to the default.

When Importing from another course you can remove non-assessment items and the Gradebook is still setup as it was. When Restoring from a file however, if any items at all are deselected the Gradebook is not setup.

If a course has to be restored from a file but not all items are wanted, it can all be restored to a temp course then only the needed items imported from that to the real one.

Once the Gradebook is setup you can remove items and import new ones without breaking it.

In reply to Malcolm Abel

Re: Gradebook Categories Missing after Import/Backup Restore

by James Roberts -

Thanks for this clarification, Malcolm.

I deleted several quizzes (assessments) from an originating course and was surprised to learn that my gradebook categories had disappeared from the receiving course when I performed a restore. The new (receiving) course had a gradebook with no categories at all!

BTW, I deleted the quizzes in the old (originating) course because I wanted to clean up the question bank and get rid of old quiz questions that I no longer use.

As I view it, here's the problem/dilemma: I can drag these old quiz questions from course to course - or I can delete them but I will have to recreate the gradebook for each new course.

At present, I rename all unwanted/deletable quiz questions with the preface "Old" but I don't in fact delete them.