Upgrade problem 1.5.2

Upgrade problem 1.5.2

by Janusz Buda -
Number of replies: 7
The upgrade from 1.5.1 seemed to go smoothly, with a string of 'success' responses to the database updates, but after the upgrade I can't log on as the administrator.

I took a look at the database and found what looks to me like data corruption. Most, but not all, the username fields have been replaced by the data in the user email address field, with some extra digits added: user@mail.com.1082719122

I had no luck with regaining admin access using the guest password copy-and-paste tip posted elsewhere on this forum.

---
Jud
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janusz Buda

Re: Upgrade problem 1.5.2

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Something very wrong and not-normal has happened ... there shouldn't be any database upgrades from 1.5.1 to 1.5.2.  Are you sure you replaced ALL the files before upgrading?

What you are seeing in the user table there is probably normal though, those are what you have left when you delete user accounts.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Janusz Buda -
It's a relief to know that the odd usernames are deleted users. I used phpmyadmin to scan the database, and it looks as if all the info is intact. For some reason, however, I can't get past the login page using my existing username+password.

Using phpmyadmin, I've tried copying over valid encoded passwords for various users and none of them work. I just get returned to the login page with no error messages or clues as to what's wrong.

When I referred to 'updating the database' I meant the list of table updates that scrolls by when you activate an upgrade. The info for each table was followed by a 'success' response, but when I got to the end and hit 'continue' to go to the login page, the problem started.

Any way to regain control of the site?
In reply to Janusz Buda

by Dave Hickey -

I have just completed a clean install of 1.5.2 and I am also having similar problems.

The finals stage of the installation produced an error message similar to those reproduced below, but clicking on Refresh took me into the site, logged in as the Admin user. However, any attempt to edit either the Admin User or the Guest User generated an error message.

I then logged out but since then I cannot log back in. Unfortunately, I did not record any of the early error messages, but the error messages below show where I am up to now.

If I try to login, either as Admin User or Guest User, I get the following error message:

Warning: authenticate_user_login(/home/tas-onl/public_html/moodle/auth/manual/lib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tas-onl/public_html/moodle/lib/moodlelib.php on line 2386

And if I try to create a new account, I get the following error message:

Warning: main(../auth/email/lib.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tas-onl/public_html/moodle/login/signup.php on line 4

As this is a clean install, I'm happy to delete everything and try again, but if there is an easier fix, then I would also be grateful for any advice.

In reply to Dave Hickey

by Dave Hickey -

This afternoon I did another clean install, this time with the latest version of 1.5.2+ (Moodle_15_Stable).

I am pleased to report that everything installed as it should and after installation everything seems to be working correctly.

During today's installation, I kept a record of my progress and from this it would seem that the errors in the previous installation occurred at the stage where you are asked to edit the Admin users profile.

Anyway, all is now well, so it may be worth installing 1.5.2+ if anyone is still getting a similar error.

In reply to Dave Hickey

Re: Upgrade no problem with 1.5.2+

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
>>Anyway, all is now well

Great!  So if all is well, Dave, be sure to change the subject line in your post.  smile
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by James Robertson -

I have just done a CVS update to 1.5.2, the last update was a couple of days ago (I update every 1-2 days, localhost test site) and having already seen this post in my email I was surprised to see upon login:

Upgrading Moodle database from version 1.5.1 (2005060210) to 1.5.2 (2005060220)...

Your Moodle files have been changed, and you are about to automatically upgrade your server to this version:

1.5.2 (2005060220)

Once you do this you can not go back again.

Are you sure you want to upgrade this server to this version?

I selected "Yes" and got:

Upgrading Moodle database from version 1.5.1 (2005060210) to 1.5.2 (2005060220)...

Database was successfully upgraded

I had also updated the questionnaire module, so I was not surprised that I was taken to a screen titled "Questionnarire Module needs upgrading", and it showed "success" for all tables.  But it did not progress from there and there was no "Continue."  After some minutes of looking at the screen I returned to the home page using the breadcrumbs.  I selected "admin" from the bottom of the Administration block and got a blank page.  I have spent only a few minutes experimenting so far, and it looks like the everything is intact -- but no matter how I approach the admin page it comes up blank.  I need to update our production site to correct some problems in online assignments and quizzes, but I've obviously got something wrong.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Robertson.

In reply to James Robertson

by James Robertson -

I just now moved my CVS version and did a download of 1.5.2 current from the regular downloads page.  There was some updating of the database when I started, but I now have the admin page back.  No idea what happened, but that seems to have corrected it.

Jim.