Does/Should the navigation save the page?

Does/Should the navigation save the page?

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I'm talking about Moodle 7.1...

We had a big problem the other day with students completing a timed quiz and finding none of their answers have been saved.

A bit of investigation showed that they had been completing ignoring the 'Next' button (there are 5 questions per page) and using the navigation 'bar' to move from question to question. As (iirc) this is a timed quiz, this appears as a horizontal line of pages rather than the usual block. 

I was a bit surprised that doing this neither saved the page or produced the "you are leaving this page" popup if it wasn't going to. 

I need to do a bit more investigation but any initial thoughts are appreciated. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Does/Should the navigation save the page?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Greetings, o traveller form the fututre. I am afraid I don't yet know anything about how Moodle 7.1 works.

Moodle 2.7.x works just like every version from since Moodle 1.5. When you move from one page to the next it should save all reasponses.

I am confused by you saying " As (iirc) this is a timed quiz, this appears as a horizontal line of pages rather than the usual block."

No, that is not how it works. Whether the timer appears or not does not affect the layout of the navigation.

Can you attach a screen-grab?

Have you looked in the browser for JavaScript errors?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -

Yep - it didn't sound right to me either, but I looked over a students shoulder and watched it happen. They filled in a page - navigated to the next page (with the navigation buttons) and then navigated back to the previously completed page. Nothing was saved. 

I'm just the support guy - I don't develop quizzes which puts me at a disadvantage re. the myriad of possible options wink

Anyway, to partly answer my own question, I've just realised what's happened. The blocks have dropped underneath the content due to a layout issue with the theme. 

However, for me, I can't reproduce the issue. Even with the broken layout it works for me and no errors in the console. 

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 11.06.31.png
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Howard Miller -

Right... scratch that. 

I can reproduce the error, but it's an issue with the theme. It works fine in the clean theme. I'll grab the latest theme version and see if that bug is fixed.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by dawn alderson -

Wouldn't it be great...just a thought, if the docs about themes highlighted potential discrepancies in terms of tools that marry up easily and others that require a bit more fiddling around...I say this because when I have used software elsewhere and enjoyed choosing a theme........I have stumbled because a certain theme is not inter operable with it........then I think-well I don't really need this and that for my purposes...so instead of scrolling through endless stuff-I have thought, in the past, why doesn't this theme's blurb outline what I can and cannot do as a non-dev.

Again, just some thoughts  really.