Moodle 2.2 connection-specific(??) hangs?

Moodle 2.2 connection-specific(??) hangs?

by Brad Smith -
Number of replies: 5

I have occasionally seen a problem where my Moodle server takes over a minute to load. While we've had disk-based performance problems in the past that locked up the whole server, this seems to be different, because I can ssh in and the server is perfectly responsive, showing a load average of almost nothing. 

I'd assumed that this was something that at least manifested site-wide, but I just had a co-worker report that she was experiencing the problem while I was able to load the site with no issues at all. 

I happened to have the stats footer info turned on, and comparing her stats to mine, mine show more memory use, more db writes, etc. In fact, the only things that seem to be higher in hers are the load time and ticks. 

Maybe this is just some kind of bizarre issue with dns or something, but while I look into it I thought I'd ask here if this sounds familiar to anyone. Open to suggestions for troubleshooting!

Also worth noting: she tried to load the page in a different browser and had the same delay, even as it kept loading without issue for me.

Here's the performance info I gathered...

Hers:

105.783156 secs
RAM: 47.4MB
RAM peak: 56MB
Included 369 files
Contexts for which filters were loaded: 2 
Filters created: 2 
Pieces of content filtered: 2 
Strings filtered: 0 
get_string calls: 269 
strings mem cache hits: 230 
strings disk cache hits: 39 
Included YUI modules: 54
Other JavaScript modules: 2
DB reads/writes: 316/4
ticks: 10579 user: 36 sys: 9 cuser: 0 csys: 0
Load average: 0.13
Session: 35KB

Mine:

0.772878 secs
RAM: 70.1MB
RAM peak: 70.4MB
Included 1022 files
Contexts for which filters were loaded: 2
Filters created: 2
Pieces of content filtered: 2
Strings filtered: 0
get_string calls: 1558
strings mem cache hits: 1362
strings disk cache hits: 196
Included YUI modules: 54
Other JavaScript modules: 2
DB reads/writes: 428/2
ticks: 77 user: 48 sys: 9 cuser: 0 csys: 0
Load average: 0.02
Session: 51.3KB
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Smith

Re: Moodle 2.2 connection-specific(??) hangs?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Brad,

This is a long shot, but it has happened to me on more than one occasion. Again today, in fact. By any chance, has your Moodle site ever had a different URL? I have migrated multiple Moodle sites from one URL to another over time. There are many places in Moodle where the URL gets saved and running replace.php doesn't always find and fix all of them. Once in a while I will go to a page in a Moodle site that attempts to open the reference to the old URL and it sits there for up to a minute, just as you describe.

They are easy to find and fix.  Just type the part of the URL that is now different into the search box under site administration. Fix whatever comes up in the search and save the changes.

Some easily forgotten and overlooked possibilities would be links to a red5 server, your chat server host, language lab adapter, your own install of MathJax (also possibly used by Mathslate), noreply@email address, etc.

HTH,

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Brad Smith -

Unfortunately, I don't think any of that applies, but thanks for the reply!

In reply to Brad Smith

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Co-worker on the same network as you?   Even if co-worker is on same network, is co-worker on same segment of the network as you?

Network comes before application.    Might have to ask co-worker to do things like pings and traceroutes from their location.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Brad Smith

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Talking of bizarre issues with DNS it reminded me a skimish some friends had. There've set the server's ethernet to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_frames and got allegedly 20% increase in NFS throughput. Moodle worked somehow. Much later they've noticed that the server was incapable of sending messages. If one sent a message the server got blocked for minutes. Some old router somewhere was killing those jumbo frames and times out DNS requests!
In reply to Brad Smith

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

No point guessing... start with something like YSlow and work back from there.