Exporting using common cartridge - inconsistencies and problems with labels

Exporting using common cartridge - inconsistencies and problems with labels

by Nathan Cobb -
Number of replies: 0

Hi

I've been asked to look at copying some moodle courses which use a lot of labels from Moodle 2.7.2+ (Build: 20141002) into Blackboard Learn April 2014 using the IMS Common Cartridge. I'm slightly baffled because I am seeing some inconsistency in how labels are being handled.

When I backup my moodle course using IMSCC and then restore it in Blackboard the labels are converted into folders and the only thing that comes across is however much text will fit in the folder name field. My first thought was that that was a bit strange so I tried restoring the same package into moodle. When I restore it back into the same moodle that created it, the label is still a label but has more or less done the same thing as Blackboard.

There is an image of a folder and the text has been truncated. In my second label the image has vanished and in my third label which was simply an embedded video clip the previously unlabelled video clip has now been given the title "Label" with the picture of the folder and the embedded video has been stripped out.

This seems to make Moodle's support of the IMS Common Cartridge Standard pretty limited in use? Is this behaviour as designed because it seems a little odd? I've attached a couple of screenshots (top image is the after, bottom image is the before in case it isn't clear) so you can see the comparison. Any thoughts on this would be useful. I've always thought of IMS standards as a good thing but this seems odd.

I've run the cartridge through the IMS validator (http://validator.imsglobal.org/cc/index.jsp?validate=cartridge) and it says it's compliant.

Link to Moodle IMS page including stated support for labels (https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/IMS_Common_Cartridge_import_and_export). If this is functioning as designed (FAD), saying labels are supported would appear to be stretching things a bit.

Attachment AfterRestoreFromIMSCC.png
Attachment BeforeExport.png
Average of ratings: -