Drag 'n' drop in text -- fields too small

Drag 'n' drop in text -- fields too small

لە لایەن David Dunn -
Number of replies: 14
Moodle2.7+ (Build: 20140703)

qtype_ddwtos 0.1.2  1.4 for Moodle 2.6+

A student highlighted the following issue today. The dragged items do not appear to "stick" in the blank fields. I have reproduced this error on two other machines (using FF and Chrome). However, it seems that the blank fields have shrunk in height, and that the landed text is not correctly displayed.

The first screenshot below shows clearly the shrunken text field.

Drag and drop shrunken text field

Second screenshot shows text highlighted, although not legible.

Third and final screenshot shows results. The quiz has correclt processed the answers, meaning that they did land correctly. They are just not displayed correctly.

I have cleared all caches. Debugging gave no info.

Any other suggestions?

تێکرایى نمرەپێدراوەکان: -
In reply to David Dunn

Re: Drag 'n' drop in text -- fields too small

لە لایەن Marcus Green -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Plugin developers وێنەی Testers

What theme are you using?

In reply to Marcus Green

لە لایەن David Dunn -
Elegance 2.7.1.00 (Build: 2014082100)
In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن Tim Hunt -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Documentation writers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Peer reviewers وێنەی Plugin developers

Can you try temporarily switching to a different theme to see if that solves this issue? (We don't see this problem with the OU's own theme.) That will help narrow down the problem.

Then it is probably a matter of poking around with Firefox or Chrome developer tools to see what CSS seems to be causing the problem.

In reply to Tim Hunt

لە لایەن David Dunn -

Hi Tim,

Swtiching to theme Essential solved the issue of the shrunken text fields. However, I see a new issue now: When dragging the item, it is displayed way below the cursor -- see screenshot below.

I think I will have to re-do this quiz question as a temporary solution because students are working through a long series of conditional access-ed activities and I don't want to hold them up.

I will have a look at the Firebug info tomorrow, but in the meantime, switch back to our regular theme, Elegance.

By the way, Tim, I'd like to thank you and your team for offering these great plugins for the greater good. We really value them in our teaching programs at HZ University of Applied Sciences in the Netherlands.

David

In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن Tim Hunt -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Documentation writers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Peer reviewers وێنەی Plugin developers

I just raised this in the themes forum: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=275041

In reply to Tim Hunt

لە لایەن Gareth J Barnard -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Plugin developers

Hi David,

In order for me to help you, please could you supply:

• Version information about Essential used.
  • Link and version to the specific OU Quiz question type so that I can download and install it.
  • If possible a course backup containing the quiz with the question so that a) Its quicker and b) I replicate exactly.

Thanks,

Gareth

Essential theme maintainer / developer / dogs body.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

لە لایەن David Dunn -

Hi Gareth,

There is some confusion about which theme is at issue here. As I posted above, it concerns Elegance (0.1.2, Release 2.7.1.00 (Build: 2014082100)).

I repeat that switching to Essential (release 2.7.9.1 (Build: 2014111001)) does not reproduce the error; the text boxes are the right size, and the dropped-in text is completely visible.

Let me know if you are also able/willing to deal with an Elegance issue, and I will send you the stuff you requested.

In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن David Dunn -

I see now that I have also got confused. The question type is Gapfill with the DragDrop option.

A quick check with Chrome's Inspect Element tool shows that the dropbox has the following:

<input type="text" name="q23176:1_p1" value="vital role" id="q23176:1_p1" size="10" class="droppable  ui-droppable" style="height: 1.2em;">

Changing the CSS height seems to fix the issue.

element.style {
  1. height1.6em;
  2. background-colorwhite;
}

I've made an edit in question/type/gapfill/renderer.php, line 120, to height: 1.6em;

The dropbox now displays correctly: high enough and displays the dropped text clearly.
In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن Gareth J Barnard -
وێنەی Core developers وێنەی Particularly helpful Moodlers وێنەی Plugin developers

Hi David,

Sorry was confused by: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=275041 as said it was an Essential issue too.

So... all is working now?

Gareth

In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن Victor Santos -

Hello David,

I am having the same problems, I am using the theme "elegance".

Can you tell me wich css file you changed?

Thank you.

In reply to Victor Santos

لە لایەن David Dunn -

Hi Victor,

The file I edited is in my post above: 

question/type/gapfill/renderer.php, line 120, to height: 1.6em;

I hope it works for you too!

- David

In reply to David Dunn

لە لایەن Victor Santos -