How do I get Moodle to read a Dreamweaver Folder?

How do I get Moodle to read a Dreamweaver Folder?

by Christine Rosalia -
Number of replies: 7
I am new at using Moodle and Dreamweaver. I thought if I made a dreamweaver file that it would translate into something I could post on Moodle, but when I make a file in dreamweaver it puts xml files, gif files and html files go into a folder. Even if I upload this whole folder to Moodle, under add a resource, moodle seems to let me only choose one file at a time, rather than the whole dreamweaver made folder. Is there anyway I can design in Dreamweaver and have moodle read my work?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christine Rosalia

Re: How do I get Moodle to read a Dreamweaver Folder?

by Bill White -
Christine,

I am fairly new to moodle myself and have been using Dreamweaver(DW) for a couple of years now. What I usually do is make some web pages in DW with info for my students and then link them in the Resource module as either a Web Link or Web Page. Depending how you want it displayed.

Web Link opens in a seperate window.

Web Page is put into a frame and then the students stay within the moodle site, which means they can navigate back to the main page.

You should make what you want in DW, and link them to each other in DW.

Or do you want to actually upload all the files at one time to your server? If so this was posted a while back

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=1709

So, if that is the case then I don't think it is possible.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill
In reply to Bill White

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You can certainly upload all the files at one time by putting them all in a zip file, then unzipping it on the server.

To use these in a "Uploaded resource", you just have to select your "main" or "front" page from the menu... this should link to everything else in your folder.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Christine Rosalia -
Thanks for your speedy reply, I will give it a try. I am a novice at Dreamweaver so maybe I was doing something wrong in building the page itself...

by Art Lader -
Sometimes I save a web page as a PDF file and then I upload that single file to my Moodle. Not a perfect solution (see attached PDF file made from this page), but it usually works pretty well for me.

Hope this helps,
Art Lader
Aiken High School
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Boyd Mitchell -

The problem that we have just encountered falls into this category.

The problem we are having is that a teacher would like to upload a web page and have her pictures still link up.  Unfortunately when you upload a web page, as a resource, it kills the link to the pictures (even if you upload the picture into the same folder).

We could have her build the page somewhere else, but that sort of defeats the purpose.  We want to be able to have a web page open up in moodle, and be completely stored in moodle as well.

Any suggestions?

Thnx.

by James Scannell -
I know nothing about moodle (as I have just joined) but am an expert in DW. If your items open up into an frame as someone else has asserted, then you must build your pages and items to be navigated from inside that one frame so depending on how Moodle operates, you could use the blank option ( <A HREF="http://www.yourdomain_name.com/myDWStuff/newwindow.htm" target="_blank"> Open a New window</A>)
or...
find the name of the target frame that Moodle is using and put that name there instead of "_blank" for each link to each resource. In order to simulate that on your local directory you will need to create a frameset in a folder closer to your local root with the corresponding names to each frame residing in the folder you want to upload.
If you are looking to see the contents of any folder within a server, that may have more to do with if the server allows you to see the contents of said folder... Which I highly do not recommend.
In reply to James Scannell

by Sally Mack -

The problem of links to images or other files breaking can also occur if your staff member has spaces in the filenames. Moodle 1.9 replaces the space with an underscore, thus breaking the link which is still looking for the space.

IE. Make sure your users don't have spaces in their file names.

Cheers,

Sally