Diploma/certificate for 1.5

Diploma/certificate for 1.5

by David T. Cannon -
Number of replies: 50

I have the need for a student to receive a certificate after completing a class. One instance of this is for driver training, they need to show the court the completed a class.

Used with the Activity Locking module by Stuart Mayor (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=26565 ), the student can only get a certificate after completing the course.

I have installed the certificate generation mod by Hugo Salgato (see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=9766) but found that it wasn't working with 1.5. Also, Hugo no longer subscribes to moodle.org, so he is probably on to other things.

I have updated his work to work for me, but ask if there are any other needs for this, so I can incorporate them.

The one mod I made, is the ability to change types of certificates generated. For instance, a certificate for each unit/section could be awarded, and at the end of the class a diploma could be awarded, both using a unique layout.

Dave.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David T. Cannon

Re: Diploma/certificate for 1.5

by Tom Murdock -
David,
This would be very useful to a number of us.

As for adding things?  Do you think you could pull an individual score (maybe allow the teacher to map the overall grade to a marked activity in the course) and a date from the course so that the certificate could also serve as a transcript?

best,
Tom
In reply to Tom Murdock

by David T. Cannon -

I'll look into placing a grade, I'm still new to moodle so it takes a little time to get familiar.

I have added a date field, which is the date the class was completed, not the date it was issued/displayed. This was a flaw I saw in the previous release.

Again with traffic classes, we dont want them to re-print a certificate with a new date....for a later ticket, hehe.

Another thing we have done is print a unique number on certificates, which would allow someone(coutrs) enter that number in on the web site to verify the details of the certificate (who, when, what) . IE. 05AGX1001

Dave.

by Tom Murdock -

I like your decisions about dates and unique certificate numbers.  Smart moves.  I wonder if it would just make sense to add a "final grade" field as part of the module, so that teachers can add them.  I imagine mapping the grade over from another course activity instance might be tricky.

Thanks!
Tom

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
Hi again David,

Well, you certainly are very handy to have around. Over in the Business Uses Course in the How do I do that? forum, I had posted an updated certificate for 1.5, also I have added the script to have the teacher(s) names show on the certificate and I think there is code for a border included, instead of a png. (Another member also added the code for a unique number) Let me know if you want me to send you the code.

As for the grade, I looked into trying to get a final grade to show, but wasn't successful. I look forward to seeing what you can figure out about that.

I love the idea of different types of certificates. By the way, how are you defining the completion of the course? Is it by completion of all activities (or is each activity conditional upon the last) using Stuart's code?

Also, just as a sidenote, as for the date--inserting the date the certificate was viewed is not a flaw if you are using it in an ongoing course with "open enrollment" and no real ending date.wink  That's how I use it.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by David T. Cannon -

Chardelle,

I actually incorporated alot of yor suggestions from the original thread I read from Hugo.

how are you defining the completion of the course?
 I dont have a working model of this yet, since I ave not yet created a real course. I plan on using Stuart's code to lock each activity until completion of the previous activity. In some cases a final quiz with a passing grade would allow you to move on to the certificate.

inserting the date the certificate was viewed ...
Maybe I just dont understand this. I dont see much relevance to knowing when a certificate was "viewed". I want to know the timeline it was completed in. I also would use "open enrollment" with no start/end dates for my classes. So when you say "viewed", if a student goes back a year later and views their certificate, it puts a new date on it? What's that purpose? The relevant date is the date the course was completed, right?

I didn't even know about the other forum. I found it and will work with your code, and see what I can do.

Dave.

by David T. Cannon -

Oh, and yes, please post the code to generate a unique number.

Dave.

by Stuart Mayor -
Dave,

It should be quite easy to add grades to the certificate/diploma.
In the main, you can use the code from the grades page of moodle. That's all I did on the lock page. I suppose you could write a page similar to my lock page that will allow teachers/admins which grade(s) they want to be shown on the certificate.
In reply to Stuart Mayor

by Bernard Boucher -
Hi all,
I suggest that if David seem to have some programming spare powerwink the grades from the gradebook, including final grade and all hand created weighted categories could be added to activity locking "predecessor page". That way all activities, not only certificates could use any combinasions of these as predecessors! ( othogonality or sort of polymorphism )

Another thing that may have to be enhanced also is a "time relative dependance". Time relative to the personnal enrollment date of the student or time relative to the date a student finish and activity. All that available as activity locking predecessor.

Thanks for your work.

Have a nice day,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

by Chardelle Busch -
It's so exciting to have people who actually know what they are doing working on this!!!!

Great ideas Bernard and Stuart, thanks.

As for the date, I thought you meant to insert the last date the course is availableblush. Here's my scenario. I have a course that is open all the time (365 days) and is self-paced. Let's say someone enrolls in June, and completes all of the requirements on October 17th and the certificate then opens up and is available for him to print. My thinking is that he finished the course on October 17, so that is what the certificate should say, even though the course is still available until December 31. Then, if he goes back in and clicks on the certificate again, he'll get one with the new date--that is a problem. (In my instance, certificates can be printed and then turned in for incentives, so printing another one wouldn't do them any good). I guess we need to define "when the course is completed." Are you thinking maybe adding the date that they completed the last prerequisite? Then that date wouldn't change.

Another little thing, if you can figure this out. If someone opens a certificate, then saves it to their computer, it saves a file named view. Is there any way to change this to something else (certificate would be good obviously)?

I'm looking for that unique # code.....

by David T. Cannon -

My idea is this;

A person could not view/print a certificate until they met a pre-requisite. Whatever that may be, using activity-locking. At the time the certificate is viewed for first time, a record is created, fields being a unique number(for some uses) and date pre-requisite was completed. Any later views of certificate would recall the record info and use that data.

Does this sound like the right approach?

Yes, I feel the certificate date should say the completion date, and is independent of the course dates.

It does have a call:

$pdf->stream(array('Content-Disposition'=>'certificate.pdf'));

But it doesn't seem to work. I may just move to another pdf library. Alternately, we can save to a file, then load send the file to the browser.

Dave.

by Tom Murdock -
So it actually stores a unique copy of the certificate for each student in the database?  Interesting.
In reply to Tom Murdock

by David T. Cannon -

There is a table that defines the certificate(course #, style #). If we want to use a unique hash number to a certificate, we need to either add that hash to a new table(id, course, student, hash), or append the hash to the student course table(whichever that is). Alternatively. Maybe a hash that actually contains the course, student, date, and not need a table at all.

When I mentioned a date stored....that may not be correct. Because we can get the completed date of the required pre-requisite from course_modules table.

Doesnt make sense to store the certificate anywhere, since it can be generated quick/easy. As long as you dont change things like the course name, or content. In that case, seems like you ought to create a new class anyway. make sense?

Dave.

by N Hansen -
Chardelle-What if there are multiple teachers in a single course? What if only one of those teachers is responsible for teaching a certain group? How does that work with the teacher name that appears on the certificate.

And would it be possible to add a way for the teacher to simply indicate manually that a certain student is now entitled to a certificate? I'm not "grading" my students but I would like to give them a certificate of successful completion and would feel most comfortable awarding this manually.

And what about different color options? While I would probably use the blue color myself, I can imagine that others might prefer other colors.
In reply to N Hansen

by Chardelle Busch -
David,

As for the templates, I think that users will most likely be customizing the language strings, and probably the pngs (does the fpdf also require pngs?) no matter what.  However, having maybe two basic templates, maybe one landscape and one portrait, each with a simple border (no png, only colors?) would be good.  The way I have been doing it is to have all of the code in the view.php file, then whatever code users don't want, e.g. one of the pngs, or the teacher, etc., could just be commented out.  And then the language strings could easily be changed.  I'm not sure how this will work with fpdf.

Nicole,

As for the teachers, I have my code now, so that if there is more than one teacher, only the "number one" teacher gets listed.  That could be changed, to include all teachers, I know.  As for groups, that is too complicated for mesmile.  As for manually giving the certificate, David might have a way to do this, but my suggestion would be to have maybe the certificate dependent upon a graded (obviously not a "counted" grade) online assignment, then when the user is ready for the certificate, you as the teacher could go in and give the assignment the grade and then the user could get the certificate.

by David T. Cannon -

I read someone asked about having multiple types of certificates, so thats why I opted to create a basic template of 5 or so. Then you just need to go into the language file and change text. Otherwise, they also have to copy/paste more routines for each temple. FPDF accepts png and JPG. Sad thing is the templates are not an exact science I have found. You basically change something, view it, change again, and so on. And the less someone later has to do, the bettter.

Teacher's. Hadn't thought of multiple teachers. And groups, oboy. I dont understand how groups are used, cause I wont use them, but I will look into it.

Manually issuing a cert. Got to be a way to do this. I see the cert being a hidden activity then. But then we need a page that tells us where in the course the students are, or, more imporatantly, done. Is there anything like this now?

Dave.

In reply to N Hansen

by David T. Cannon -

In response;

• I added 4 colors to certificates.
  • Up to 3 teachers can be listed on certificate, and only teachers of that group.

As far as a mechanism to "manually" award the certificate, I think that is a good feature. I'm not sure I will get to that right away though.

Dave.

by Manie Barnard -

Hi Where do i download the certificate module ????? and installation files.

I am new to moodle and still busy trying it out

Thanks

by Simon Reynolds -
Dave,
This is a fantastic concept and one which will prove another major 'selling point' for Moodle. I have looked at your demo site and can't wait to get this for my site.

One point though from your previous comment. I really think that we need the option to add a logo if required. Could this be called from a folder with the pngs in? e.g. if there is an image called logo.png,it will add it if not it will leave the position blank or simply add some admin-user defined default text.

I can see this being a great motivator, particularly in the Special Education sector where awards and certificates are frequently used.
My daughter gets a certificate if she doesn't hit anyone for a whole day!

regards

Simon
In reply to Simon Reynolds

by David T. Cannon -

Simon,

Ah, I must have missed you comment about a logo. Yes, I think that is a popular need, and will try to incorporate that in this release. Along those lines, maybe even an option for a full page watermark, like a faded crest or something.

Dave.

by David T. Cannon -

I have done a total re-write of previous version on certificate module.  First, I decide on fpdf library rather than ezpdf. It seems well documented and revised with some frequency, and the f stands for FREE!

I created 3 templates so far, and am looking for feedback of how you would modify them, so I can make them more widely versatile. Basically, there are 3 version of a certificate, and 2 border variations. They are all landscape, so if there is a need for portrait, speak up.

http://whatalife.com/0.pdf
http://whatalife.com/1.pdf
http://whatalife.com/2.pdf

artwork is based on previous release and input from Chardelle Busch. As you can see they are all simialar, just the text is changing. Would you like a logo? Two area's for electronic signature? If we can come up with enough feedback of what's needed, I can make it so you simply select which template to use from the properties page for the certificate.

Dave.

by David T. Cannon -

I meant to add;

another reason I re-wrote it is to make the script easy for others to cusomize. Basically, very self explanitory fields to create your own certificate.

Dave.

by Tom Murdock -
Bravo!  Great work, David!  You've made many moodlers very happy!  We really appreciate the time you've put into this.

best,
Tom

by Alvin Shaffer -
Were can I find the re-write?
In reply to Alvin Shaffer

by David T. Cannon -

I have not released it yet, just to prevent alot of unhappy people running into problems. If we can nail down exactly all the features, I can get it out in a week or so.

Dave.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chardelle Busch -
More ideas,

Maybe have 1 template that has three lines of text, the date, the teacher.  One that has 2 lines of text, the date, no teacher, etc.?

So, if you want to go with templates, maybe have them defined as 1,2,3,4,5.  Then, have a language string for each template?  E.g. template1title, template1line1, tempate1line2.  So for whatever template you choose, you can change the text for that template.

Then, for each template maybe have the pngs, or jpgs, whichever is better, named with the same naming, template1signature1, template1border, etc.  And a custom image can then be made with the correct name and just uploaded to replace the template image. 

And maybe also have border colors for each template, in lieu of an image border, that can be changed?

Also, there is the date problem to think about.  E.g., July 1, 2005, vs. 1 July 2005, etc.  There should be a way to change that or have different date conventions for different templates. 

by David T. Cannon -

OK, now were talking.

You have the exact concept I have for languages, my lang/en/certificate.php:

$string['modulename'] = 'Certificate';
$string['modulenameplural'] = 'Certificates';
$string['certificate_style'] = 'Certificate Style';

// certificate 1
$string['title0'] = 'CERTIFICATE of COMPLETION';
$string['intro0'] = 'This is to certify that';
$string['statement0'] = 'has satisfactorily completed the course';

// certificate 2
$string['title1'] = 'IN RECOGNITON';
$string['intro1'] = 'This is to certify that';
$string['statement1'] = 'has completed';

// certificate 3
$string['title2'] = 'THIS CERTIFICATE of ACHEIVEMENT';
$string['intro2'] = 'is awarded to';
$string['statement2'] = 'in recognition of having successfully completed';

I need to make it easy to change border, maybe on properties page, and add color.

Now date is something I didn't think of, can't forget our international friends. I will place that on the properties page too.

Dave.

by Ralph Blakeslee -

Dave,

First, thank you for working on this project which so many of us are interested in! 

Second, I know there was some talk earlier about including grades on the certificate.  I just wanted to put my two cents in and comment that this would be very helpful.  Are you working towards incorporating a course grade or grades on assignments, quizzes, etc.

Last, I would be able to test your work out on my "experimental" moodle.

Again, thanks.

Ralph

In reply to Ralph Blakeslee

by Chardelle Busch -
Hey Ralph,

Do you have the code to add a unique/randome number to certificates?

by David T. Cannon -

I was thinking that you would be able to select from the activities that have a grade, one to print on the certificate. Please let me know it this is right approach.

Cool, Ill send ya a beta to test within the week.

Dave.

by Ralph Blakeslee -
Hi Folks!

David: Yes, that approach would work very well.  Many courses that I run have a series of quizzes for each week or topic.  At the end of the course a final quiz is constructed using some of these questions along with additional material. Being able to select that final quiz, or any other specific  activity with a grade, would be great.  Thanks again for the great work.  I look forward to testing it out.

Hello Chardelle:  No I don't have that code.  It would be very useful.  Hope all is well.

by Simon Reynolds -
I have been following this discussion with interest. I can see there may be times when there are different teachers responsible for different syudents.
Couldn't a similar system be developed on the lines of the 'Enrol Students' proceedure already used with the 'Course' being replaced by the 'Teacher'?
Not being a programmer, I am not sure how easy this would be smile

by David T. Cannon -

Well, I allow you to put the teacher name on the certificate, or teachers if more than one in a class.

Although I dont have the full grasp of using groups, it seems if you need to seperate students in the same class by teacher, then you need to form groups.

Dave.

by David T. Cannon -

I place a DEMONSTRATION of the module at http://whatalife.com/moodle

user: admin
pw: 2admin (please dont change config options)

Its a basic install, with an sample imported course. Feel free to add certificates, and edit them.

I am looking for any feedback, so I can finish the module, and it meets as many needs as possible.

Dave.

NOTE: The teacher name and grade functionality is not yet implemented. Requires acrobat/acroreader.

by Harvy Stanley -

David, this really looks great!  This is exactly what I have been looking for.

Can I ask a favor.  I have been hacking away at this certificate thing all day.  There seems to be tons of different version floating around out there.  Can you please post what would be needed to recreate this example?

Thanks!

In reply to Harvy Stanley

by David T. Cannon -

I can place a download url when I am done. Because of the artwork, it is too large to upload to moodle.org.

Also, because of its state, I am hesitant to release it at least for another 2 days, while I receive feedback.

Dave.

by Tom Murdock -
I wonder whether the names of the teacher might just be added in a text field in the activity properties pages.

This might avoid hassles when you have "hidden teachers", etc.. in the course.
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Chardelle Busch -
Hi David,

This is coming along just great. Couple of things in noticed:

1. Any idea why we are getting hashmarks along the edges sometimes?

2. You have a field title certificate style--I find this a little confusing since the following fields also define the "style". So, what are you defining in the certificate style--the title of the certificate it looks like. Maybe have this be certificate type. I am hoping we will be able to define our own "type" and upload them to show up as choices here?

3. There are problems with updating a certificate. After adding a certificate, I clicked on the edit (update actually) icon and the page brings up the certificate in a window next to the html form--and it takes forever to load, then clicking on save changes takes me back to the update page.

4. Did you check whether the in fpdf the files can be given titles? (the save file, title "view" problem).

Thanks

by David T. Cannon -

Hi Chardelle,

1. The hash marks are for me as a visual alignment tool, they are just for testing.
2. My previous language file(if thats what your refering too) has been reworked. Certificate type is better wording, I can change that. You should be able to add more "types". It is hard-coded at the moment though. Thats why if I can come up with as many types as possible now, less trouble for others later.
3. This is the desired functionality. It allows you to make changes and then redisplay then so you can see them. This server is running slow also. When I creata the setting panel(admin) I will create a checkbox to turn off the pdf sample on the right. I guess for people working remotely over slow connections, this can be a problem
4. Yes, fpdf allows naming the file. But its the same thing with ezpdf, ithe problem lies in that moodle is actually serving the file from its script. We can make a change somewhere that forces a file download rather than viewing it first. I have to think more on this.

by Chardelle Busch -
I'm not so sure about the preview as it is now.

1. You don't get it unless you go back to update the certificate--why don't you get it when addding a certificate?
2. When you click on save changes, it actually updates the preview, I didn't realize this the first time, and thought I had to refresh to see the changes. In Moodle, save changes means you are leaving that page and either returning to the homepage or opening the activity--however that module works.  This is confusing, am I updating the preview, or actually making the changes, I'm not sure since I stay on that page. Maybe have an update preview type of button, then have the save changes button that takes you back to the homepage?

by David T. Cannon -

1. It should go to preview, I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. Since you are creating a new activity, there is no module id assigned to it yet, and that is required for the preview. I need to figure this out.

2. OK, how about a "save and update" button, instead of just "save changes". May be a bit trickier to preview..preview...preview....save, since then all the variables have to be saved in $session. As it is now, it actually updates the table on each "save" but.

Dave.

by Chardelle Busch -
Sounds good, or maybe just give some instructions somewhere (e.g. to preview changes.......),

If all else fails, I wouldn't mind not having the preview option at all.  After all, it's pretty easy to preview the certificate the good old fashioned way, just add it, then click on it (with the old code, admins/teachers couldn't view certificates, so it was a real pain in the ass to test them out).

by David T. Cannon -

I am trying to finish up this module and have a question on dates:

Date on certificate. If a date is printed what date to print?

• If someone is not using activity locking(AL)?
    Maybe the date its printed? Enroll date?
  • If they are using AL, print the date of the required activity of certificate is fullfilled?

Dave.

by Simon Reynolds -
It looks like you may be digging yourself a hole!

It could be any of the following:

• the date of the final activity
  • the date a survey is completed as one of the course completion criteria
  • the date it is printed
  • just the Month it is printed
  • set by the tutor
  • the activity should be locked or hidden by default allowing the tutor to unlock it
Thats my opinion!

Using the enrol date may be OK for short courses but could look odd for courses run over a year?

Good luck with your decision, not everyone will agree with itsmile

cheers
Simon

by Chardelle Busch -
Couple of comments,

As for the logo, it seems that if someone wants their logo maybe they could just add it to the border image?  In other words, we don't want image placement to be too complex, we now have border, left side and right side (the old signature1 and signature2 files), right?  As for a background watermark, that's a cool idea.

As for date, enroll date doesn't make much sense to me, but the two options, locked (gets the date of the locked activity) and not locked (the date opened), makes sense.  Also, Stuart has added the time delay AL code, so let's say someone locks an activity based on time, then, in essence, they are really prefiguring the certificate date also.  Simon mentions a required feedback survey--it seems that that is really the final required activity.  Would it be possible to allow teachers to enter a date as part of the mod config for unlocked certifs?

As for the date itself, just the month doesn't make sense to me either, but an option for just the month and year is a good idea. You now have options for international compliance, i.e. 6 July, 2005, vs. July 6, 2005.  Would it be too difficult to add other options here for just month and year?

by David T. Cannon -

Chardelle,

Thanks for all you help. I started getting up at 3am, so I can get more feedback from our international community, otherwise I lose a whole day. What I did for the logo, was make it an option in the signature 2 area. I just couldn't see another image on there. But, if someone has a it part of the background image, that's fine.

The date seems tricky. If they don't have AL, not sure what to do. But if they have AL, an activity can be unlocked just because the user entering the pre-requisite activity, and not necessarily completing it. Unless there is a special case for the feedback mod. It seems there ought a "triggereing" function. Maybe this was the idea behind the activity linking module, i don't know.

I will add another date option: month, year.

Dave.

by Chardelle Busch -
Wow, you really are dedicated to this. Bernard's activity linking worked under the same principles as AL. I believe an activity opened up based solely on clicking on an activity or on a quiz grade. By triggering function, the only thing it could be would be if something were submitted to the database, right? The problem that arises with with survey modules is they are submitted anonymously, as for the new Feedback module, I haven't tried it yet, but I think it has a "non-anonymous" option.

As for unlocked, as well as locking activities that are based on "must view", then I think the only option is the original one, the date the certificate is opened.

By the way, it appears you figured out a certificate numbering code.  I had thought it was Ralph who had that, but I think now it was someone who had contacted me off Moodle last year some time and I can't remember their name or anything, sorry.

by Ferlin Scarborough -
David,

I really like what I see so far, I have been giving certificates for completion of different courses on my moodle site, and I have been doing each one manually using MS Word, and a template, if I send you a copy of the certificate I am using, do you think when you get a chance, you could tell me how to set it up using your module?

My students have been begging me for a way to view their certificates online, once they have been issued, your module sounds exactly like what I am in need of, and it would save me a ton of time. smile

Thanks for working so hard on this.

Later.

Ferlin Scarborough - http://www.gameuniv.net

In reply to Ferlin Scarborough

by David T. Cannon -

Ferlin;

Sure, send me a copy of your template to moodler at whatalife dot com.

I may even incorporate some of it, as I want a broad range of certificate types.

Dave.