2.7.1 Moving a course from one moodle site to another

2.7.1 Moving a course from one moodle site to another

by Wendi Daniels -
Number of replies: 9

I was able to do it before, and now I am having a problem. The course i moved successfully is about 2.5MB, and for whatever reason, the one I cannot move is over 250 MB. Is it a compression problem? What do I do to get it to work?

To be more clear, I did a backup of the course, and then downloaded it onto my computer, and I was able to upload the smaller file, and 3 weeks later I cannot upload the bigger file, or make the bigger file smaller. Please advise.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Wendi Daniels

Re: 2.7.1 Moving a course from one moodle site to another

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
If it get stuck during the upload, increase the maximum upload size: https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Installation_FAQ#Maximum_upload_file_size_-_how_to_change_it.3F.

If it happens during restore, switch on https://docs.moodle.org/26/en/Debugging.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Wendi Daniels -

Well, I have almost the same problem. I am again trying to upload a course that I downloaded onto my computer, and it says the file must be a csv file, but then moodle saves it as an mbz file????? why is that, and how do I get around this?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Course backups are either *.zip (Moodle 1) or *.mbz (Moodle 2). If Moodle expects a *.csv you are not trying to upload and restore a course but doing something else!
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Wendi Daniels -

I backed up a course, and then downloaded it onto my computer. I tried to upload that course onto another moodle domain. I can't. The system will not let me upload the course.

The Reason: Moodle accepts only csv files for upload, but I can save backups as only an mbz or zip, and it did not offer a choice of a zip address, and when I tried to put "zip" on the end instead of "mbz", it would not let me.

I need to upload a course that I downloaded from a separate Moodle site that I have. How do I do this?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Think you have to begin a restore process first.   Moodle then looks for valid backup files upon uploading (1.9 backups use .zip, 2.x backups use .mbz).

So, create a hidden category called 'restores'.  One hidden minimal course called 'restores' - don't have to assign anyone as teacher nor any students if you are the system admin.  Think the course is necessary to get to the 'Restore' link in the context to be at the course level.

When you are in the restore process you'll have options on cat to restore to as well as other options for the course.   As with many things Moodle, too many options to list in an email.  Just don't replace the hidden/no user 'restores' course - assign to category desired, change title, etc..

I usually create a hidden System Admin category/course that has system admin links (like a link to force the running of the cron job) and other system admin tools but also use it for restoring courses to new courses in other categories.

'spirit of sharing', Ken

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Wendi: I suspect the reason you are being told you can only upload CSV files is that you are trying to upload your course via Site administration>Courses>Upload courses  -this is actually used for creating courses from nothing using a CSV file (the same as Upload users will add new users to the site)

So you need the "Restore" option - because you have backed up a course as an mbz and now you are going to restore this course to a new site. Have a look at Course restore

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Wendi Daniels -

Bingo!

I was trying to add a course rather than restore. Thank you. *Happy Dance*

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, 'dance' that mouse of yours over the rating and rate usefull! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

Average of ratings: Useful (1)