Moodle Tip: Compare quizzes to show progression

Moodle Tip: Compare quizzes to show progression

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Because I can't get enough of Moodle, I keep an eye on other forums and email lists as well as Moodle.org and it was from one of those, a UK university mailing list, that this tip arrived - courtesy of quizmeister Tim Hunt.

Problem (thanks Matt) Our students take a "Pre-learning" quiz before they begin a course and then they take a second, "Post-learning" quiz at the end, hopefully with an improved score to reflect their progression. How can I compare the two quizzes so that I get a third column in the gradebook showing the comparison and level of improvement?

Solution (thanks Tim)

• In the Common module settings for each quiz, ensure you have an ID - for example, PreQ and PostQ

• In the Categories and Items, create a new grade item -for example Quiz Compare-  and click the calculator icon (2.7 or below) or, if you are up to date with 2.8, Edit settings>Edit calculations:

• Add your calculation. A simple one might be for example as below:

• Student Donna gets 4.2 before the course; 6 at the end of the course, and the Quiz Compare column tells us she's improved by 1.8:

A simple example, but hopefully you can see the potential smile

Note: Depending on how you use your gradebook, you might want to exclude this grade item from the course total.

Average of ratings: Useful (13)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle Tip: Compare quizzes to show progression

by dawn alderson -

nice.

So, for clarity is there a clear pathway to differentiate this set-up?  Reason being, there is this thing called the deficit model of the learner, meaning 'they will never get full marks on first go!' But some do!

I guess then my query is about creating quizzes pre and post to suit individual need....rather than a block pre/post quiz pitched for one level....where a group might get full marks in the pre-then teacher can provide a different-higher pitched level for those in the post quiz-right?

If so, sounds great.

D