Interesting webinar about the use of Forums

Re: Interesting webinar about the use of Forums

by dawn alderson -
Number of replies: 0

Hey,

am enrolled on this course, been dipping in, mostly playing catch up with the videos.  Great idea, and it is evident a lot of planning has gone into the course with the aim of applying theory for practice wherever possible.  Couple of theories I am talking about include social learning and distributed learning/cog...Perkins and Pea-type stuff.

Anyway, I notice there is a lot about data analytics defined as: dealing with big data-quant style....numerous tools to work with nice large numbers, pretty graphs and visuals and so on.....all about a numbers-style way of analysis...fair enough.  Bit disappointed that the qual-side of things is not there-at all! As far as I can see in the syllabus-and yes there is a syllabus for the 9 weeks, and there is also a visual syllabus-which is nifty.

For example week 4 looked at social network analysis so Twitter FB....and the three step nutshell process involved calculation of betweeness and degree of centrality; linguistic properties and RA.....however taking this back to forward feed for improving practice.....pragmatics-I have no idea-could tell you easily from qual data analysis...but hey ho-horses for courses.....scuse pun.

George is pretty clear about looking closer at assessment in the future,  but that is not the focus of this MOOC.      

Glasgow Caledonian Uni have the online survey (predominantly quant-from my scan at the questions) , with the main research question: How individuals self-regulate their learning in MOOCs? 

Consequently, I have an itch about accessing some data for some qual analysis.......thinking about that at the mo..prob send an email when I get time....I would like to look at  a number of things surrounding interactivity, levels of engagement (surface/deep) and learning states as defined by the learners....but hey ho I have probably just given away some good ideas there! smile

Nice that the Dalmooc provides both a non-linear and linear pathway....but it was stated non-linear as in contrast to an LMS-I disagree that using an LMS has to be linear-that is down to pedagogy and skill of the teacher.

One thing I definitely agree with is in the aim of the course seeking to support learners 'to own their own identity'.....have their own learner space to make decisions....especially the notion of ambiguous learning spaces....non-linear formats....and on.

D