Dont know how to unzip on web host for initial install

Dont know how to unzip on web host for initial install

by diane ehrlich -
Number of replies: 12
My last two moodle installs, I unzipped everything onto my puny PC then uploaded the hundreds of files to my web hosting service - very painful with many restarts and other yuck.  My web host does not have an unzip utility, so it says.  Is there some magic way thatI can load the moodle 1.5.1 zipped file up to my web host and unzip it there with some moodle command? Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to diane ehrlich

Re: Dont know how to unzip on web host for initial install

by Eugene Ritter -
No. You're host is full of crap. Servers have archive utilites. Ask them to unzip it for you. If they won't I'd find a new host -- or wait for it to upload.
In reply to Eugene Ritter

by diane ehrlich -
My web hosting service is not bad for the price.  When I emailed them about an unzip functionality, they stated that users are not able to unzip on their accounts.  Of course they do have an archive utility but I don't know how to access it.  It's not a matter of waiting for the hundreds (thousands?) of moodle files to upload, it just times out fairly often and I have to figure out where to restart. ANYWAY ... does anyone know of a php script that does server-side unzipping? I googled this, and it involves loading a PHP library which the web host people are not inclined to do.  I just do not have time to cut over to a new web hosting service, and I want to upload moodle 1.5.1.  Any suggestions, anybody?  There has to be some wizard out there that could make life easy for me on this issue??  Thanks, people and HAND. Diane and Ron.

by Jason Hando -
Hi Diane,

Speaking as a purely "non-Wizard" smile I use CPanel on my host which has an application called "File Manager". When in there I can see my folder contents and selecting a .zip or .tar file gives me an "Extract File Contents" option, as in:

Example of Extract

I hope this helps.

Jason
In reply to Jason Hando

Please help us unzip on web host for initial install thanks.

by diane ehrlich -
Thanks, Jason for your reply.  My web host's menu on their file manager has no expand or compress.  And its much easier said than done to change web hosts.  Now I know that moodle has a built in ability to zip-unzip because it uses zip for backup and unzip for restore.  All we need is someone to tell us how to unzip the moodle 1.5.1 zip file, once we have uploaded it to our web host.  We emailed the web host support for this and they said so sorry no.  So now we appeal to the moodle community to help out with what must be a really simple quandry according to the far more complex technical discussions we have seen flying by in these forums.  Thanks in advance.  Ron and Diane.

Re: Please help us unzip on web host for initial install thanks.

by Thomas Haynes -
Diane...

Do you have command line access?

Navigate to your directory. I download mine in .zip format in the web root directory with wget. Then an "unzip moodle*.zip" unzips it, and it writes over the old if your moodle folder is named "moodle"

It is pretty strange that the host is not helping you out here. It seems like a resonable request...

Regards...   Tom
In reply to Thomas Haynes

by Erlyn Baack -

Diane,

You might try your site host once more.  Upload a small zipped file of no significance, then click the file in the file manager and look for the "Extract File Contents" as Tom suggested. 

I just tried my own site host.  The "Extract File Contents" is not normally seen, but if a zipped file is highlighted, then the "Extract File Contents" option appears.

I've been following this thread because my method for uploading Moodle has been the same as the one you described...painful! wink

by Tim Allen -
Hi,

If you don't find another solution, you might try this little untar script which someone shared on moodle.org some time ago. 

HTHsmile
Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

Still no solution for server side unzip

by diane ehrlich -
Tim:
I tried your script with no success.  Received the following error:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning
: shell_exec(): Unable to execute '/usr/bin/tar -xzf brinkxxx.zip' in C:\Sites\Single6\dheconsl\webroot\brinkxxx.php on line 2
OK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please stay interested in our problem and would like to try any other solutions you might think of.
Ron and Diane

Re: Still no solution for server side unzip

by Al Ortiz -

Hi Diane,

I use to have the same issue until I discover that I can FTP the file into one of the archive folders.  Then I can use the Unzip facility within moodle.  Once the file has been unzipped then you can log onto your FTP site and move the new moodle folder to your root directory.  Remember to rename your current moodle folder to something like moodleold before you move the new folder into place.  Have Fun!

Al

In reply to Al Ortiz

by diane ehrlich -

Thanks, Al.

Not to seem dense, but where in Moodle is the unzip facility, please?

Ron and Diane

by Thomas Haynes -
Ron and Diane...

Go to site files, and you will see the options to unzip there.

You would ftp the files to your moodledata/1 directory, and then would be able to see them in the site files.

Regards...   Tom

by Al Ortiz -

Hi Ron & Diane,

Once you copy the file to your archive folder, select the 'Archives' icon from the home page's admin menu.  It will take you into the folder that contains the zip file.  Select the file and click on the 'unzip' hotlink to the right of the file.  The files will be unzip in that directory, so then you can FTP into it and move it to the proper place.

Al