2 timers in a lesson?

2 timers in a lesson?

door Ian Middendorp -
Aantal antwoorden: 8

Hi,

In 2.7.1 lesson I have an issue where there are 2 timers - see attachment.

I can live with the timer in the 'Time Remaining' section even though it is not dynamic, while the other one below it seems to be dynamic. I just can't present 2 different timers, showing 2 different times. If I had a choice I would use the dynamic, even though it doesn't appear in the 'Time Remaining' section.

Any idea how I can display one and not the other?

Thanks,

Ian

Bijlage timer.png
Gemiddelde van de beoordelingen:  -
Als antwoord op Ian Middendorp

Re: 2 timers in a lesson?

door Jean-Michel Védrine -

Hello Ian,

I am currently doing some work to fix the lesson timer so that it is dynamic again (like it was when it was introduced several years ago) see MDL-27930.

Most probably if this is integrated it will be backported so it will be available in Moodle 2.7.x next release

But I am really puzzled by the second timer you see. Is it the same thing for all timed lessons on this website ? Could it be something related with the theme used ? Really this is strange. According to the attached image it seems to be in the footer. Could you send me the HTML source of the page ?

Als antwoord op Jean-Michel Védrine

door Ian Middendorp -

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for the response. The 2nd timer does seem to be in the footer. I am using the 'Clean' theme currently, and I am pretty sure I have not customised it beyond language.

I have attached the html source file for you. 

Thanks,

Ian

door Ian Middendorp -

Hi again,

I also receive 2 warnings when there is less than a minute to go - thought you would want to know. Image attached.

Thanks,

Ian

Bijlage timerwarning.png

Hello Ian,

Looking at the source of your page I see strange things: some part of the code are repeated twice, for instance the function that start the timer is called 2 times not one.

Surely this is the same thing for the warning.

I must admit I am puzzled, I have done a lot of tries while working on the lesson timer and I have never seen that.

At random (but really at random !) I can suggest

• To purge caches
  • To suppress and upload again to your Moodle server the files in the mod/lesson subdirectory (be sure the new uploaded files are exactly from the very same Moodle version !!) just in case one of these file have become corrupted
  • to try to switch to another theme to see if there is the same problem or not
Sorry I can't help more

door Ian Middendorp -

Hi Jean-Michel,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have tried purging caches, using a new theme as well as uploading the mod/lesson subdirectory. Unfortunately nothing seems to have worked - both timers still appear. And it affects all lessons in the site.

If there is anything else you can think of that I can try I would be very grateful! It seems strange that I would be the only one having this issue....or others just haven't noticed yet.... glimlach

Many thanks for your attempts to help though.

Regards,

Ian

Hello Ian,

I can testify I don't see 2 timers in any theme I have tried so I think this is specific to your Moodle install.

Are you able to upgrade your Moodle ?

If the answer is yes, then you can try to upgrade to Moodle 2.7.3 that was just released.

It includes my fixed timer (MDL-27930 is now fixed and closed and included in Moodle 2.7.3 and 2.6.6) so you should see a working timer in the left block (and I hope no timer in the footer).

But unfortunately I made a mistake and the integrators didn't noticed it: I forgot to increment the lesson version, so maybe you will have to purge caches after upgrade (not really sure) to see the fixed timer.

door Mary Cooch -
Foto van Documentation writers Foto van Moodle HQ Foto van Particularly helpful Moodlers Foto van Testers Foto van Translators

And can you confirm you don't have anything in Site administration>Appearance>Additional HTML? I'm sure it's nothing to do with it, but you did ask if there was anything else you could tryknipoog