Forum Shared between Multiple Courses

Forum Shared between Multiple Courses

by Stephen Coffey -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, 

Apologies if this has been covered in another forum post - I have searched what I figured to be the most obvious terms and haven't come across anything.

Just wondering if it is possible in Moodle to have a Forum which is accessible by users enrolled in Multiple Courses. Optimally, this would be a 'Course Category' Forum where any user enrolled in a course in that specific category would be able to access it.

Thank you for your help,

Stephen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Coffey

Re: Forum Shared between Multiple Courses

by Ravi Murugesan -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Stephen,

I don't think that's possible. You can create a forum only within a course. As far as I know, the only other place where a forum can be created is on the site front page ("site news" forum).

One option is to create a new course in the "social format" with only the forum and add a link to this forum in your other courses. You can allow students to self-enrol themselves in this social course without an enrolment key if that makes it easier.

Another option, but possibly not relevant for you, is to use the Groups feature within a single course to separate different groups of participants and yet have a common forum for everyone.

Ravi

In reply to Ravi Murugesan

by Stephen Coffey -

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for replying - much appreciated! That sounds like an innovative solution - I could automate the enrolment to that course when doing the csv bulk upload.

Thanks again!

Stephen

Svar: Re: Forum Shared between Multiple Courses

by Simon Heissler -

Maybe you should even have a look at Metacourses /Simon

In reply to Simon Heissler

Re: Svar: Re: Forum Shared between Multiple Courses

by Stephen Coffey -
Thanks Simon - wasn't aware of this! Looks like there are some very useful use-cases which I hadn't thought about yet.

Thank you for your help,

Stephen

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

You could also set up course meta-links to the standalone course containing the forum. That would then bypass the students needing to self-enrol. It would also make future management of the enrolments easier as when they are removed from the all 'master' courses they are also removed from the associated forums - especially useful if you use an automatic enrolment mechanism for the main courses, such as an external database.

smile Just saw Simon's reply suggesting the same thing