1.5.1 Install - Constant "Your session has timed out. Please login again"

1.5.1 Install - Constant "Your session has timed out. Please login again"

by Mike Erickson -
Number of replies: 7

System: FreeBSD 4.8 hosted at Globat
Database: MySQL 4.1.11 administered with phpMyAdmin 2.5.2-pl1

New Installation of version 1.5.1

I had installed version 1.4.4 some time ago successfully in its own moodle/ directory. Now I want it installed on the main directory and with the new version I deleted my main directory and uploaded all moodle 1.5.1 files. I created the database and followed all the setup instructions just fine everything looked as the 1.4.4 install including the omission of setting up the admin account. In the 1.4.4 install I changed the administrator in the user_admin table and it worked. I did the same on the 1.5.1 after creating a new account.

When I try to login as any user (i.e. admin, guest, or the one I created) I receive a screen "Your session has timed out. Please login again." 3-4 seconds go by and I am redirected to the main page of my site and it is what I expect but I am not logged in. When I go back to login my previous user name is already populated but upon entering my password I receive the same "Your session has..."

Upon reading the installation errors posts and recalling from my previous installation of 1.4.4 in its own directory, I realize that I am missing the moodledata directory. I went ahead and created that directory and a subdirectory for session and took away the permissions for Group but still have had no luck in properly logging in without the session timing out.

I would like to know if anyone has any words of wisdom for session settings or know that it is something else.

Thank you.

Mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Erickson

Re: 1.5.1 Install - Constant "Your session has timed out. Please login again"

by Baruch Ramses -
Hello Mike. I have the same problem, you are not alone. I need help too!
In reply to Baruch Ramses

by Mike Erickson -

Hello Baruch. Did you have to create a moodle/sessions directory? Have you tried working on your permissions to the moodledata/session directory?

Mike

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You should ask your server administrator. Apache/PHP need to have full read-write access to your moodledata directory.

by Petr Skoda -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Check that session files are created in moodledata/session directory. If not fix the permissions.

skodak
In reply to Petr Skoda

by Mike Erickson -

Thank you for your reply Petr. There are no files in my moodledata/session directory. I have begun to make changes to the permissions but am not finding the combination that works. Do you have a suggestion or two that I may try? Is there anything else I should look at?

Mike

by Eugene Ritter -
Only one solution that works CHMOD 0777 full permissions.

Re: 1.5.1 Install Constant "Your session has timed out. Please login again"

by Mark McCandless -
I am having the same problem, upgrade of Windows version from 1.5 to 1.5.1

As a test i set all the accounts to have FULL control of the web site folder and moodledata folder which had no effect at all. Still get permissions errors on the session folder.

Anybody managed to get this working with IIS?

"Warning: Unknown(): open(D:\www\demo\moodledata/sessions\sess_8e83baeea5f82d9013a5c75ddb818586, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (D:\www\demo\moodledata/sessions) in Unknown on line 0"

Thanks,

Mark.