Block won't hide, even with permissions set

Block won't hide, even with permissions set

by Phil Carlson -
Number of replies: 5

I am using Moodle 2.6.5. I am trying to hide the Online Users block from students, authenticated users, guests, and teachers. I would like the administrator to see the block. I have gone in and edited the roles that can see the block, but it's still there when I log in as a student.

My permissions:

Online Users Block Permissions

Yet, when I log in as a student, I can still see the block, but not the users:

Suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Carlson

Re: Block won't hide, even with permissions set

by Phil Carlson -

Anyone? I certainly appreciate the help.

Phil

In reply to Phil Carlson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

It's not clear from your screenshot who is prohibited and who is allowed. Where are the students seeing the online users block? On your Moodle front page or in a course? Have you prevented the view of it for everybody?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Phil Carlson -

Teachers and managers are allowed. The others are prohibited.

It shows up on the "My Home" page. It is not on the Front Page. It is not on the course page.

I haven't hidden it for everyone. I do want some to see it.

This is weird - I went over and checked permissions again and they had reset. I don't understand how that could happen. I guess my real problem is that permissions are being reset.

In reply to Phil Carlson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I would hasard a guess that this is because users can add the online users block to their My home page and so they have the permissons to see it. Perhaps if you look at the My home documentation (link in bold) and follow the instructions for preventing users adding the online users block then that might work for you?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Phil Carlson -

Thank you for your help. I'm not sure what happened with this, but it hasn't reoccurred.

Thanks!