ICal & Manager not Assigned Help!

ICal & Manager not Assigned Help!

by Gwen Jefferson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi

We are experiencing a number of issues with face-to-face module and wondered if anyone could help. I am not a programming whiz so please go easy on me smile

·The ical attachment included in the emails will not open and insert into the users calendar. When a user clicks on it from Outlook, we receive the following message:'the file invite.ics is not a valid internet calendar file'. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix? If not, can we remove the icalendar options from the notification type?

·We would like to enable the manager email functions to advise (not approve) when someone has booked on or cancelled a course. When we tick the relevant boxes to enable the communications and an individual, tries to book themselves on they get the following message: You are currently not assigned to a manager in the system. Please contact the site administrator. Why is this? How do we assign a manager? Un-ticking the communications to managers means the user can add their line manager address but this seems to go no where

Any help very gratefully received as I am fast falling out with this plug in smile

Gwen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gwen Jefferson

Re: ICal & Manager not Assigned Help!

by Chris Roper -

Hi Gwen,

Which version of outlook are you using?  The ical didn't work with Outlook2003 but when we updated to Outlook2010, it worked.

Which version of Moodle and which version of the plugin are you using?

In reply to Chris Roper

by Gwen Jefferson -

Hi Chris

We are using Outlook 2010 too.

Its Moodle 2.5 and the face to face version is 2014022700

Many thanks

Gwen

In reply to Gwen Jefferson

by Phil Everist -

HI Gwen

We have outlook 2010 and the invite.ics files that get attached to the emails work fine so i can't help much with that - sounds like an Outlook setting more than a Moodle/f2F issue.

For your second question about the error message, this post has a (lengthy) description about getting the manager approval process working:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=205966

As a quick summary of my understanding

• You need a user profile field for the manager email with short name 'mangersemail'
  • This needs to be setup with an email address for all users - either by collecting it as a required field in signup, getting users to add it to their profile or some other method such as using a query to assign a default address - if this field is not populated you get the message you mentioned  
  • If the profile field is populated it gets displayed as an editable field in the f2f activity allowing it be changed (note that it is a once off change for this activity sign up - it does NOT update the profile value - that would need to be done via Edit Profile)  

We use F2F but as we can't reliably maintain the manager profile field we have it turned off:

• Managers email unticked in Site Admin/plugins/activity modules/face to face
  • no manager approval or send confirmation fields ticked when the F2F activity is set up