How does one create a tl_utf8 subdirectory in CVS?

How does one create a tl_utf8 subdirectory in CVS?

by Roel Cantada -
Number of replies: 4

I've been searching the forums on utf8 conversion, but none seem to answer my problem.

I only want to give teacher's in Tagalog the capability to use our ancient script (unicode 1700 and above) in their content.  But I don't want to change anything in the pack, since few people can read the old script.

I am currently using iso-8559-15 or international lang code.  I intend to put moodle.php in the tl_utf8 with thischarset and parent language strings only.  But I don't know how to create a new subdirectory in cvs and I don't want to mess things up.

Would this work?  Or would it just be better to change my current thischarset string in tl to utf8 rather than create a new lang subdirectory?  Do I need to change any other file in the tl lang pack?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roel Cantada

Re: How does one create a tl_utf8 subdirectory in CVS?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you want to move to UTF8, you need to move all the strings to UTF8 ... you can't just change the charset string.   You might also need to upgrade all the existing content in your Moodle sites ... this is why we haven't moved everyone over to UTF8 yet (but we should do this soon!)

Overall it would be better to create a completely new separate language pack (tl_utf8).  Send it to Koen (translation@moodle.org) to put into CVS.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
In reply to koen roggemans

by Roel Cantada -
I have sent the tl_utf8 lang pack to translation@moodle.org. 

I generated it from tl using recode.

I am beginning to appreciate the complexity of moving to utf-8.  So all data processed, either filtered or through forms will be stored in utf-8 such that if viewed from iso-8859-15, some letters will not display or be processed correctly.  This would mean that both the client browser, php and database have to be utf-8 aware.

Would this also mean that if somebody edit a utf-8 lang pack with the online string and document editor it will be properly saved in utf-8?
In reply to Roel Cantada

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, the 'thischarset' string from the current language will be setting the character set for the current page and the browser will use that to determine the character set of text submitted in forms.