Is it possible to force Moodle 2.7 to use Mysql 5.1?

Is it possible to force Moodle 2.7 to use Mysql 5.1?

de către Jean Michel-
Număr de răspunsuri: 5

Hi All,

I know Moodle has a requirement of Mysql 5.5+, but my hosting provider only allow me to use Mysql 5.1. Is it dangerous to force (hardcore) the Mole installer to allow me to install with Mysql 5.1 ? My main concern is if it is going to have unexpected running problems , I mean: do Moodle use specific Mysql 5.5 features that prevent me to use Mysql 5.1?

Thanks!

Media aprecierilor: -
Ca răspuns la Jean Michel

Re: Is it possible to force Moodle 2.7 to use Mysql 5.1?

de către David Mudrák-
Fotografia lui Core developers Fotografia lui Documentation writers Fotografia lui Moodle HQ Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers Fotografia lui Peer reviewers Fotografia lui Plugin developers Fotografia lui Plugins guardians Fotografia lui Testers Fotografia lui Translators

According to MDL-42931 it seems there was no particular technical reason for requiring 5.5 in Moodle 2.7. It was chosen wisely as 2.7 is the LTS release and Moodle HQ will have to live with declared versions for long time.

On the other hand, MySQL 5.5 has been there for couple of years now and the overall list of improvements is quite huge. Maybe it's time to consider another hosting provider?

Ca răspuns la David Mudrák

de către Jean Michel-

Thanks for your answer David. Unfortunately I can't change my provider right now (though I'm starting to hate them surâs .  I think I'm going to use Moodle 2.6 for now, because my client doesn't have the need to use the latest Moodle features, though I know, as a developer, that it would be the better option (and LTS, what is nicer). Do you think I can have problems if I change the Mysql requirement in the install script to allow me the 5.1 with Moodle 2.7?

de către David Mudrák-
Fotografia lui Core developers Fotografia lui Documentation writers Fotografia lui Moodle HQ Fotografia lui Particularly helpful Moodlers Fotografia lui Peer reviewers Fotografia lui Plugin developers Fotografia lui Plugins guardians Fotografia lui Testers Fotografia lui Translators

Do you think I can have problems if I change the Mysql requirement in the install script to allow me the 5.1 with Moodle 2.7?

As a developer, you must know such question is really hard to answer surâs If it was me, I would try it.

de către Danny Wahl-

Yes, if only I could get my host to upgrade too.  Although- in their defense, if there's no major technical changes between 5.1 and 5.5 then why fix what ain't broke?  Or, why would moodle require it?

Media aprecierilor:Useful (1)