advantages and disadvantages with Moodle

advantages and disadvantages with Moodle

by JHON CANO SALERNO -
Number of replies: 12
What kind of advantages and disadvantages can I get with moodle?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to JHON CANO SALERNO

Re: advantages and disadvantages with Moodle

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Jhon,

Nice to get know you.  Where are you from?  What do you teach?

The main advantage of Moodle is the community here which helps you, and gives answers rather quickly.

The main disadvantage of Moodle is also the user community, which expects a lot from you.  First, we expect you to explain who you are and why you are asking that question. We also expect a little more specific details of what you want to know.  So I would start by using a search engine with key  words such as "Moodle LMS reviews".  After reading four or five reviews of Moodle, then you can ask a number of specific questions that will help you, and help us give you relevent opinions.

Is that OK?

Cheers,  Don smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by JHON CANO SALERNO -

Hi Don

Nice to know you too

Well, My name is John Cano I´m from Colombia, I´m spanish teacher  and I´m learning English. About the advantages and disadvantages of moodle I could say that I did not know how to use it, and I need to learn, so if you and the community can help me, I will appreciate it.

In reply to JHON CANO SALERNO

by Nguyễn Phúc -

Disadvantage with Moodle is that it could not create a test with multi media such as TOEIC, TOEFL in this site: http://lophoc24h.com/gs/luyenthitoeic

In reply to Nguyễn Phúc

by john Simpson -

Why not? And that should include all interationally recognised ESOL tests such as  Cambridge KET, PET, FCE, CAE, BEC, & IELTS.

In reply to Nguyễn Phúc

by dawn alderson -

that link is empty?  Can't see what you mean.

D
In reply to dawn alderson

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

My understanding is that TOEIC, TOEFL are not ESOL, they are American language standards [shuddering at the last three words-an oxymoron when considering Webster's "contributions" to misspeaking English]. Besides, Moodle cannot be all things to all people, a rubbish idea, and likely cannot encompass all the various um..um.. standards.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by john Simpson -

They are all international tests to test English to English non native speakers for employment, immigration, and education. ESOL is big business for moodle, bigger than oil.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I'm rather fond of the seppoes version of English.

In reply to Marcus Green

by john Simpson -

I had to look that one up. Don't you mean seppo? Apparently it's a derogatory meaning for American English.

In reply to john Simpson

by john Simpson -

Back on topic starting from Nguyen's question. I don't see it a problem in using moodle for testing or providing courses in preparation of ESOL tests. Such students need to be tested on their listening, speaking and reading skills. We can thank the flexibility of moodle quizes, and poodll for that. installing the poodll plugins for moodle is a must for language teachers.