Database module Wish List

Database module Wish List

by William Lu -
Number of replies: 13
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am going to make a Database module Wish List to Moodle HD. Please help me to complete it.

Small wish

• Change 'Choose a link' to 'Choose a resources' (MDL-35709)
  • Change the order of URL filed form (MDL-26129)
  • Search full name (MDL-14919)
  • Set Search box at top or bottom of page (MDL-8626)
  • Add space or break to checkboxes in  'Search' page (MDL-41643)
  • Set Check boxes and Radio Buttons in Vertical or Horizontal (MDL-8948)
  • File field allow multiple files ((MDL-47485)
  • Add ##filesize## (MDL-10473)
  • Add #userpic# (MDL-20053)
  • Add #currentuser# to  #timemodified# (MDL-15211)
  • Add a new tool:  'Duplicate field'  (MDL-8405)

Medium wish

Big wish

Rename Database module: (MDL-13870)

How about:

• Dataform (Taken)
    • Datamaker smile smile smile
    • Datasheet   smile smile
    • Datapage  smile

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to William Lu

Re: Database module Wish List

by Itamar Tzadok -

Database - Dataform rosetta stone
Feature Database Dataform 
Change 'Choose a link' to 'Choose a resources' X V This is not a Database activity issue but rather a url-picker lang string issue. The Dataform works around that by making the display of the url-picker optional by field setting.
Change the order of URL filed form X N/A

Search full name X V  
Set Search box at top or bottom of page
X V  
Add space or break to checkboxes in  'Search' page
X N/A  
Set Check boxes and Radio Buttons in Vertical or Horizontal
X V  
File field allow multiple files
X V  
Add ##filesize##
X V  
Add #userpic#
X V  
Add #currentuser# to  #timemodified#
X X  This is a matter of logging entry modifications. It is an intriguing idea to display entry log in the entry view by patterns. So much so, that I'm definitely going to look into this.
Add a new tool:  'Duplicate field' 
X V  
Required field V (2.8) V  
Sort by rating X V  
Export rating X V  While the Dataform allows exporting rating patterns to csv, these are renderred with some html and hence the exported value is not "clean". This will be addressed in a near future release.
Update entries for different user groups      
Add ##group## X V  
Add default text to text/ textarea field X X  Should be done for all fields. The Dataform allows setting defaults in the menu fields (select, select multiple, radio, checkbox).
Email users for comments X V  
Email users for a new entry X V  
Subscribe to comments X X  
Assign role to views X V  
Multiple views for different roles X V  
Assign role to fields; private fields X V  

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Wow, it is really cool. 

Thank you Itamar for your detailed comparison.

Do you mind of listing some other features of Dataform, so I can add them into my Wishlist?

Thanks 

William

by Itamar Tzadok -

The next release of the dataform (in a week or so) will support default content for text and textarea fields in addition to current support for the menu fields. smile

by Noah Freedman -

Any chance of being able to specify the default value based on an author's profile field, or will it just be a fixed value entered when setting up that field instance?

In reply to Noah Freedman

by Itamar Tzadok -

If the value is in the author's profile, why do you want to duplicate it in the entry? smile

by Noah Freedman -

In our current example we are using custom profile fields as flags for the user's year and group.  Next year, these flags may have different values.  We want to retain the value of the flag at the time the user creates a new entry.  We could have used 'groups' for this but we are using them for a different set of associations.

In reply to Noah Freedman

by Itamar Tzadok -

Ah, well, that's not the default content feature I'm currently working on, but rather a special case of it and incidentally I've been thinking about this special case. The current feature populates to the entry form default values but the user can change them. Your use case is for default values the user should not change. When I started working on Dataform rules (the incomplete feature pre-2.6) one of the rules I envisioned was 'content update' which would change entry content on event. This could meet your requirement as it would allow you to specify certain content that would be added to a new entry not via the entry form where the user might change it, but in the background on submission. You can open a feature request in the Set: Dataform tracker. I will definitely want to add that at some point, time and funding permitting. And at any rate, any further discussion about such feature should be continued in the Dataform forum. smile

In reply to William Lu

by Itamar Tzadok -

William, can you offer a use case for default content in a textarea field? smile

by Derek Chirnside -

My wishlist would include:

• Filter in ATTO to enable database/dataform content to be inserted in a page, label etc.

Use cases:

1. You have help pages that are used in  multitude of cases all over the site
  2. You have workshops that are repeated a lot.  Could be inserted in the calendar
  3. Repeated information pages
  4.  . . . .

Regarding the filter, I've posted here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274336

and here: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=274452

but no response yet.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Itamar Tzadok -

After the next Dataform release (2.8, 2.7.3) I will try to make time to wrap up and release a Dataform filter that should be able to provide this functionality. This filter works together with a designated Dataform view type which provides the entry string identifiers and display template. There is also a plan for entry schedule but that's a bit further away. smile