Off Line grading problems with the listed submission dates (2.6.2)

Off Line grading problems with the listed submission dates (2.6.2)

by John Provasnik -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I'm at a loss with this question posted to me by one of my teachers. Has anyone seen anything like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

"I downloaded assignments to grade last night in my class.
I went to the Assignment, clicked on Grade/View all Submissions.
When I download the offline grading files, I open the zip folder and then organize the files by date.

From here, I see discrepancies between the dates next to the files in my my zip folder and the date on the View/Grade all Submission page. ie. in my zip file, a student's file is shown as Sep 19, 2014 yet in Moodle the student's file is shown as Sep 25.
Since I don't use any re-submission options, there should be no way for the student's submission date to be different in these two places. The reason this is important is because today is October 1st and as I'm sitting at the soccer field with my laptop and I am trying to open/grade only the assignments that are from Sept 25th on, which is the last time I graded this assignment. When files are showing up Sep 19, then I'm thinking this student didn't submit because I"m not looking that far back in the zip file."

Any reason the file dates would be different in these two places?

"

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Off Line grading problems with the listed submission dates (2.6.2)

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Not sure about this but -

The dates attached to the file itself are probably the file creation/modification date (ie. the date you would see if you were looking at the file on your computer in My Documents etc), and not the submission date as that would be recorded in the Moodle database not attached to the file itself???

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by John Provasnik -

Richard,

That makes sense. And the class logs seem to back up what you are saying. If a child goes back into that assignment, deletes the old submission, and uploads a new submission, the date in the zip file will remain the date of the original submission, whereas the date in Moodle will update. This makes sense. However, sometimes this isn't the case, such as when a date appears as tomorrow's date.

In reply to John Provasnik

by ben reynolds -

I could not replicate that experience on 2.6.2, but I did notice that one student who did not submit anything nevertheless had a last date modified. Presumably, that was when the instructor entered the comment "withdrawn." So, perhaps your instructor is causing date differences?

In reply to ben reynolds

by John Provasnik -

Hey Ben,

This teacher isn't putting in any feedback ahead of time.

Also, we have seen some of the submission dates as "tomorrow's" date, which is very odd.

I don't have any other teachers who do off-line grading so I have no idea if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.