2.2 vs. 2.3 Assignments/upgrade

2.2 vs. 2.3 Assignments/upgrade

by Ken Russell -
Number of replies: 3

We are using Moodle 2.5

I am our Moodle admin and I have a few questions about the Assignment upgrade tool. I read the FAQ and documentation. I understand that beginning with 2.3 there is an older and newer version of the assignments module/format. One of the things that is confusing teachers is when they create a new assignment. I have uploaded a screen shot of what teachers see when they want to add an assignment to their course. 

After reading the docs, I checked the admin assignment upgrade area (Site Administration > Assignment Upgrade Helper > List assignments that have not been upgraded) and found that a LOT of active teachers have assignments that appear to be the old 2.2 assignment version.  Curiously, some teachers with currently active courses are not on the list and some are. 

Questions:

If I go ahead and upgrade the 2.2 assignments that are listed on the "List assignments that have not been upgraded” admin page, will there be any apparent difference in the assignment to the teachers or to the students? In other words, can I go ahead and upgrade these 2.2 assignments without needing to consult with teachers or prepare them for the change? Will they notice any significant change when they create a new assignment? If they will see a change, what would it be?

It is a little confusing to see in the "Add Activity or Resource” window the "Assignment” activity with a radio button next to it and right below it "Assignments (2.2)” without a radio button next to it. (see the uploaded screen shot) Is there a reason to have it there? Can it be removed? I don't know its purpose for it being there if it cannot be selected like the other options listed under the Assignment heading. This is confusing to teachers and is what prompted me to make this post. 

Are all new assignments that are created by teachers in the new 2.3 format by default? A new course that was created this year has assignments that appear to be in the 2.2 version because they are on the "List assignments that have not been upgraded” admin page.. How did that happen? We upgraded to v2.5 over a year ago

I'm very sorry for the long post, but I could not find the answers to these questions in the FAQ or docs. But I would very much appreciate understanding the issues there.

Thanks so much for your help!

Ken Russell
Moodle Admin
Bellingham Public Schools

Attachment 10-21-2014 2-18-45 PM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ken Russell

Svar: 2.2 vs. 2.3 Assignments/upgrade

by Simon Heissler -

some time since we updated - but you should 

a) informe teachers/staff about the update. layout, functionality, settings an nomenclature changes. 

see https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Upgrade_tool

see https://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Assignment_settings

b) disabled assignment 2.2 after uppgrading alla assignment.  site administration/plugins/activity modules/manage activities /Hide assignment 2.2

In reply to Ken Russell

Re: 2.2 vs. 2.3 Assignments/upgrade

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Ken,

I just did the upgrade from the 2.2 Assignments module to the regular Assignments module (the 2.3+ version).  I THINK the difference between the two, and the reason I chose to upgrade, was that Moodle 2.7 does not support Assignments 2.2 module (and we are planning to upgrade to 2.7 soon). "Assignments" is not just a 2.3 version, it's for all Moodle versions after to 2.2, and these assignments are not automatically upgraded. That Assignment upgrade tool you are referring to is the means in which you can update them to the non-2.2 module.  

I think it would be a mistake to used the Assignments upgrade tool WITHOUT telling your teachers. There may be lots of panicking! 

My teachers only noticed a difference on the Assignment's grading page. They liked the 2.2 version better, and were SHOCKED to see it look different. There wont be any differences on how the actual student assignment LOOKS, but there are minor changes in the Assignment settings page, mostly with flexibility on # of files to upload and file size limits. Think of the new Assignments module as a combination of all three Assignment 2.2 options -- all the settings you need in once place versus having to decide which settings you want to use PRIOR to creating the assignment. I think that's the difference between the old 2.2 and the new Assignments activity.

DO prepare the teachers for the change--a teacher's main job with Moodle is to teach & grade. You will be changing the looks of 50% of what they do,  and they will panic if they aren't given a proper heads up. Do train them on the difference between the two. My teachers are VERY used to the new Assignment's grading page now, but it was a shock at first since they were so used to using Assignments 2.2 for years.

Yes, as an Admin, you can remove the entire Assignments 2.2 in your plug in settings. There is no default assignments module, you have to choose one or the other (with the three options) so disabling it will prevent teachers from accidentally using the old 2.2 module when creating new assignments.

Good Luck!
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: 2.2 vs. 2.3 Assignments/upgrade

by Ken Russell -

John, thanks for this very helpful information!