Moodle Mobile developers meeting

Moodle Mobile developers meeting

by Juan Leyva -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hello,

here you have the link with the presentation I used in today Developers meeting:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NkemcBW7SSR-BMyC8RiaUdwFwui_lPrL14hy1p_nfFU/edit?usp=sharing

Cheers, Juan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Juan Leyva

Re: Moodle Mobile developers meeting

by Mark Andrews -

Hi Juan,

Just wanted to drop a line to say great job at the dev meeting today. 

From what Martin was saying after your section - It sounds like what you are doing is at the centre of the moodle development strategy. I can see that moodle 2.8 and 1.7 of the app could rocket the usage of the app as the feature base is becoming a really interesting and useful.

Onwards and upwards eh!

Mark

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Ravi Alamuri -

Hello Juan,

Thank you very much for all your hard work. I am curious however - why Ionic? Is there a reason for choosing Ionic over - say - OnsenUI? Ionic has better support but I found OnsenUI to be more robust. They are both Angular based.

Regards

Ravi

In reply to Ravi Alamuri

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ravi,

ionic seems to have a big developers-base; documentation, tutorials are very good also.

We try to choose the framework/technologies most loved by developers, in this case, ionic seems to be more appreciated than onsen, there are some metrics to use (like the one described here: http://www.airpair.com/js/javascript-framework-comparison?utm_source=javascriptweekly&utm_medium=email )

Github forks & starts and stackoverflow questions are three basic metrics, and ionic is the clear winner

Cheers

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Juan Leyva -

In any case, no official decision has been made and the migration to a new framework is not in the short-term roadmap

In reply to Juan Leyva

by Ravi Alamuri -

Hello Juan,

Thank you for getting back to me. I was simply curious about the choice ... we have a hybrid app developed using angularJs and OnsenUI and part of the project is to integrate the Moodle Mobile App into the university app , along with other external services that we make use of such as Talis Prism and EBSCO search etc. It would be interesting to see the longer term benefits of using AngularJS (either in the form of Ionic or Onsen) over the current setup - which I think works well for the moment.

Thanks again Juan. I am going to see if there are ways in which I can contribute. We have a few custom additions we made to the Moodle Mobile App (Reading lists via Talis Aspire being one) and the local_mobile app. Perhaps there might be a way to make these available as separate modules to the mobile app?

Regards

Ravi