Essential theme - slider arrows too big?

Essential theme - slider arrows too big?

by Graham Moir -
Number of replies: 8

While we're on the subject of things being large in Essential 2.7.8,  this seems to be the case with the left/right arrows for the slider as well.   Is there a way to adjust these ?

thanks

Attachment essential fonts 3.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Moir

Re: Essential theme - slider arrows too big?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Probably.  And size is a matter of preference.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Graham Moir -

indeed it is....    so it would be good to have a preference setting (or equivalent) to adjust things like this.

In reply to Graham Moir

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I've raised: https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/339 - please feel free to submit the changes in a pull request on the master branch or offer to fund it.

by Graham Moir -

Fair enough.

Although, is this a bug or a feature request ? 

Providing an option to maintain the arrows falls firmly into the latter category, but if I look at the promotional video done by Julian that is in the plugin database entry for essential,  it's clear that earlier arrows were smaller and also dynamic in the sense that they did not always appear on the slide unless prompted by user action.  This gives a bit more of a professional feel, which I for one prefer.   Not sure I understand why things were changed so that the arrows are much bigger and permanently on the screen, unless a bug was introduced. 

Anyway in terms of funding a change, can you provide an estimate for introducing the option?

In reply to Graham Moir

by Graham Moir -

OK Gareth, I just found your following comments:

"Additionally I have been thinking a lot about the carousel (slider) - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/336 - I have been getting loads and loads of questions / queries over the previous months about it.  Yes, the old cslider (http://tympanus.net/codrops/2012/03/15/parallax-content-slider-with-css3-and-jquery/) was removed - https://github.com/gjb2048/moodle-theme_essential/issues/61 - because of licence issues and indeed bugs in the code.  But I revisited it today and it still is a rather good slider from a looks point of view.  I've spent many hours searching the web for other open source alternatives, but none really match up to what was achieved there."

which explain what has happened to the slider.  The current slider is OK,  but unfortunately the previous one was better.

In reply to Graham Moir

by Gareth J Barnard -

Ok, the slider button change will take around two hours.

Right.  Can I state once and for all that because of the licence issue I CANNOT put the old one back.  No amount of commenting / questions / observations will change that fact.  And sorry, but to be honest I am fed up with all the complaints about it.  All Moodle plugin code has to be GPLv3 compatible, full stop, no ifs, no buts.  Without it you would not get the freedoms and rights that the license provides.  And the previous slider was not compatible.  A decision had to be made and I made it.  I took all of the factors I could think of at the time and made a professional considered judgement that lead to a solution.  A solution that provided a slider.  Rather than 'oh well, we will have to live without one'.

If you don't like it, then change the code you have been provided with or choose another VLE.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Graham Moir -

Hi Gareth - I'm taking the "you" in your last message to mean anyone generally rather than me specifically, but just to be clear I only just found the essential theme in the last couple of days, so I wasn't aware of the history until I found your comments that I quoted in this thread.

I can understand your frustration and you've done your best given the situation, so no-one can ask more than that, and essential is still a really nice theme.