Plugin type location is not writable

Plugin type location is not writable

by Marcus Heyeckhaus -
Number of replies: 8

Hi all,

I have a problem to install plugins on my Moodle server.

I´m running the server locally on a Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS 8. The Moodle directory is under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ and the Moodledata under C:\Moodledata. When I try to install a plugin I get the error message "Plugin type location C:\inetpub\wwwroot/mod is not writable". The "Mod" directory is writeable to the IIS user but what looks a bit strange to me is the path. There is a slash in front of the "mod" and not like normal in Windows a backslash. So the path Moodle is looking for to install the plugins to seems to be wrong from the beginning. Is there a way how I can change this or does anybody know this type of error?

If you need more information to help me, just let me know. I have full access to the server and should be able to provide every information needed.

Thanks for your help

Marcus

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Heyeckhaus

Re: Plugin type location is not writable

by Marcus Heyeckhaus -

SOLVED.

Typical FEBKAC error. Indeed a permission issue.

In reply to Marcus Heyeckhaus

by sirisha g@ -

I am facing with similar kind of problem.Could you please let me know how did you solve it?

In reply to sirisha g@

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Sirisha,

You need to open a command line tool and enter something like:

chmod 755 -R /home/server/htdocs/moodle/mod/yourplugin/

This will change the directory permissions in the plugin directory. If this doesn't work, you might need to do:

chmod 777 -R /home/server/htdocs/moodle/mod/yourplugin/

However, this isn't very secure so once it's installed and/or done what you need it to do, then change the permissions back to at least 755.

More info and tutorials: http://catcode.com/teachmod/

Some hosting services have cPanel or similar controls to make changing file permissions easier.

I hope this helps! smile

In reply to Matt Bury

by sirisha g@ -

Thanks for the reply Matt but I am using moodle under windows. So I guess It does not have command line tool. Is there any way to do to do it using git bash?.Thank you in Advance. 

In reply to sirisha g@

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

I don't use Windows. chmod is pretty basic sysadmin stuff. There should be equivalent documentation somewhere for the equivalent in Windows. Have you tried a web search?

In reply to Matt Bury

by sirisha g@ -

Yes I did Matt but could not find any help. I will upgrade the moodle's version and try installing the required plugin then. Hope it solves the problem. 

In reply to Matt Bury

by sirisha g@ -

They are for general windows file permissions not for moodle. Thanks for the help Matt, I appreciate it.