[RESOLVED] Essential theme:Moodle not enabling adding resource or editing existing

[RESOLVED] Essential theme:Moodle not enabling adding resource or editing existing

by Mike Clarke -
Number of replies: 21

I have three courses. Two of them work fine. However, one will not let me add a resource, the link to the options does not appear. 

The edit function also does the same.

Please help

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Monday, 20 October 2014, 1:24 PM)

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Wednesday, 22 October 2014, 2:30 PM) 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Clarke

Re: Moodle not enabling adding resource or editing existing

by ben reynolds -

"The edit function also does the same." I'm not sure I understand this sentence. The edit button does not appear?

Which version of Moodle are you using? And do you know which theme?

Meanwhile, do you have the same role in all three courses? Non-editing teachers are, obviously, not allowed to edit.

Are you using groups? In the 3rd course, you might not be in a group, or you might be the only person in a group.

It's also possible that you do not have editing permissions even though your role is teacher. to check that in Moodle2+, you would go Administration > Course Administration > users > Permissions > Check permissions and use the Advanced role override dropdown to select Teacher. Note that if a permission has been changed, it will look like "Teacher(1)." If nothing has been changed, it will look like "Teacher(0)."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Mike. Can you post a screenshot of what you see (or don't see) to make this a bit clearer thanks?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Clarke -

I am using 2.6

Sorry I wasn't so clear.

I have 3 developed modules within one course; module 1, 2 and 3,  all using the essential theme. Modules 2 and 3 work fine. However, in module 1 (see screen shot) the links that would normally lead to an editing page/adding a new activity are faded out and no longer lead anywhere.

Attachment screenshot_missinglinks.png
In reply to Mike Clarke

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

HI there. Is this topic a hidden topic? I'm asking because it reminds  me of a bug in the tracker here MDL-47357  -If it is hidden can you un-hide it and then edit? Or is this topic visible ? (It does look as though the Word docs are not hidden) Or is it underneath a topic which is hidden?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Clarke -

This isn't a hidden topic. Having looked at the bug suggested, that shows the option for editing appearing. When I try click on edit, it only sends me to the top of the page.

'Add an activity or resource' is also no longer a link to anything

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Mary Cooch -

OK next 2 questions:

(1) What happens if you change the theme?

(2) Is there anything above that link such as a label pasted from Word that might have corrupted the formatting of subsequent items such as your Word docs edit links?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike Clarke -

I changed from essential theme to afterburner and that solves the problem.....however, is there a way I can use the essential theme, as I think it looks better than the standard ones?

As an answer to the second question; there isn't anything pasted from word etc.

In reply to Mike Clarke

Re: Essential theme - Moodle not enabling adding resource or editing existing

by Mary Cooch -

If it is an Essential theme problem then I've just moved this to  Themes forum. Perhaps it's been noticed by others? 

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That looks very much to me as if the javascript is broken - either turned off in the browser or one of your plugins is clashing and breaking it so that the javascript actions are not happening.

You could check browser developer tools to try to highlight where exactly this is breaking down, or you could remove any recently added blocks on the page to see which one is causing the issue.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Clive Gibson -
I just had this problem with some teachers in our VLE, we are using 2.6 and Essential, to solve it I just restarted our web server. All works fine now.
In reply to Clive Gibson

by Mike Clarke -

How do you restart the server? My site is hosted with a 3rd party hosting provider Pickaweb

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I doubt this is anything to do with the server, its more likely to be the theme as it works in Afterburner. Are you using Internet Explorer 8 or 9 by any chance?

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Whatever it is, its still a JavaScript issue as the '+' icons are not showing up.  Ok, as Afterburner (I don't think) uses jQuery and Essential does (correctly) then please do as Richard suggests and press F12, reload the page and look at the 'Console' for errors and post them here.  As the problem only happens in one module and not another it will be to do with what is 'special' about the icons.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Could this be a Course Format clash Gareth? I'm looking at this now, and have JS disabled works OK with Collapsed Topics, as the Add resourses use select menus and they work fine, same with the 'more' arrows as these also appear along with all the editing icons rather than the Edit dropdown.
In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Maybe, maybe not.  That is just speculation.  With JS disabled, of course it will work!  I repeat, the console will show up the errors and provide the evidence required.

P.S. Collapsed Topics uses a mixture of pure JS and YUI.  So will not clash.

by Mary Evans -

Well everything on this forum has to be speculation until someone finds out the cause of the problem, The fact it can be a dozen thing is frustrating, and is not made any easier when people go off and forget to say if the problem is fix because they forgot to do something.

I'm just thinking back a few years when a course format I downloaded and had a similar problem and you found out the cause of it. It wasn't one of your course formats it was one that added a forum that just allowed anyone to add a comment. But the code was bugged with the UTF8-BOM remember?

We, (you and me) spent ages tracking it down.  Those days were exciting...now these bug hunting sessions where everyone is blaming Essential, is getting boring, as the more you make Essential so well built, which is fantastic, I am beginning to worry that you are unearthing more bugs.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Mary,

I do - the UTF8-BOM is horrible!  It think one of my course formats did suffer from it once.  I think the plugin DB has been updated for BOM detection.

The snag is, that the theme is the most visible candidate for errors when in fact its often buggy third party code.  I'm not sure if Turnitin have yet to release a version where they use jQuery correctly and thus prevent clashes.

Sorry, I have no desire to put bugs into Essential for Sherlock Evans to solve ;)

Gareth

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

No they haven't Gareth (TII/jQuery) but so far I haven't had any problems with it and the (old) Essential my work theme is built on or the plugins we're using. At least none that are jQuery related.

In reply to Mike Clarke

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mike,

Looking at the image you posted, it looks like the top menu is not looking as though it is working, also I did not recognise it as being Essential theme either.

That said, given that the Essential theme uses jQuery it may be that there is a conflict on the page with a block plugin, or a database activity. We used to get this problem in Moodle 1.9 when we started adding JavaScripts menus, and found that the Database activity clashed with the menu, and so the page would just stop working.

It would be really helpful if I could take a look at the page first hand to see what else if happening in that Module.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mike Clarke

Re: [RESOLVED] Essential theme:Moodle not enabling adding resource or editing existing

by Mary Evans -

I have just marked this discussion [RESOLVED] as the problem stemmed from the fact the 2.7 version of Essential was conflicting with the 2.6 version of Moodle that was being used.

So the moral of the story is to use the version of the theme that is made for the version of Moodle you are using!

Thanks to Gareth for spotting the problem and suggesting a fix.

Cheers

Mary