content page "jump" to hot potatoes quiz does not work

content page "jump" to hot potatoes quiz does not work

by Chip Wiegand -
Number of replies: 9

I just installed Hot Potatoes and the hotpot plugin, and created a test quiz, saved it, in Hot Potatoes, using the F6 option. Now in Moodle I have a content page and I have "Next" and Content 1 set to jump to the next page, which is the Hot Potatoes quiz. But in testing as a student the jump does not work, it just gives me the "end of lesson" page.

How do I get the jump to load the Hot Potatoes quiz?

Thanks,

Chip

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chip Wiegand

Re: content page "jump" to hot potatoes quiz does not work

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chip,

the jump would probably work if you copied and pasted in the full URL of the HotPot activity you want to jump to. You can get that URL if you go to the Moodle course page, locate the HotPot activity you want to jump to, right-click on the link to that HotPot activity, copy the url and then paste it into the Hot Potatoes quiz you want to jump from.

Another possibility is to forget about the "Next" buttons in the Hot Potatoes exercise, and instead use the "Next activity" setting in the "Exit page" part of the settings page for the HotPot activity in Moodle. (see screenshot) 

The help text for the "Next activity" says the following:

This setting specifies a Moodle activity to be done after this HotPot activity is completed. The optional grade is the minimum grade for this HotPot activity that is required before the next activity is shown.

The teacher can select a specific activity, or a one of the following general purpose settings:

• Next activity in this course
  • Next activity in this section
  • Next HotPot activity in this course
  • Next HotPot activity in this section

If other exit page options are disabled and the student has achieved the required grade on this HotPot activity, the next activity will be shown straight away. Otherwise, the student will be shown a link to the next activity, which they can click when they are ready.

One further way you could do this is to use the TaskChain module. If you want to chain your Hot Potatoes exercises together, you may find that the Moodle TaskChain activity module fits better with how you imagine a set of Hot Potatoes exercises being linked together to form a single task chain.

regards
Gordon

Attachment hotpot.exit.page.png
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Chip Wiegand -

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the info, but I think you misunderstood what I wrote, could be my fault, I don't know. Anyway, the "Next" button on the moodle content page is the issue, I don't see how to get that content page to make the jump to the hot potatoes quiz.

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Chip,
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "moodle content page".

To your next post fo this forum, please could you attach a screenshot of your "moodle content page"?

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Chip,

I would like to second Gordon's suggestion to use TaskChain. It is a little bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out, you will not want to go back. That is if you want to go from HotPot to HotPot.  Sometimes I have only one HotPot to run but I still use TaskChain to manage it.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Chip "Now in Moodle I have a content page and I have "Next" and Content 1 set to jump to the next page, which is the Hot Potatoes quiz."

When you say that, do you actually mean "In a Moodle Lesson activity I have a content page etc."?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Chip Wiegand -

Thanks for the replies, screenshots are attached.

I will take a look at the task chains you mentioned.
Attachment 10-18-2014 10-49-21 AM.png
Attachment 10-18-2014 10-50-29 AM.png
In reply to Chip Wiegand

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Chip,

as Joseph brilliantly deduced, it seems you are using the Lesson module. That is one way to create a series of pages (=tasks) for your students to navigate, but I am not sure that it handles Hot Potatoes pages, or other pages authored outside Moodle, very comfortably.

As Jeff and I have mentioned, you could also use the TaskChain module, which is purpose built to deliever a chain of Hot Potatoes activities.

One further option, and I know that Glenys H. has used this to great effect, is to use the Book module. Glenys do you have of those exercises in a publicly available space at the moment?

all the best
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon and Chip,

Here are some of my Hot Potatoes exercises presented through the Moodle "Book" module:

I should make my reasons for using the "Book" module clear: it is away of making Hot Potatoes exercises available to users who do NOT have to create an account on the Moodle site or enrol in the course. The intended public is not students but teachers - so they can see some of the possibilities of using Hot Potatoes. Book is very flexible and easy to use, but the scores of students are NOT recorded in the Gradebook.

I've retired now but if I were still teaching and had classes of students I'd use TaskChain because the course creator can control how the students work through the exercises and the students scores are recorded in the Gradebook. TaskChain takes more time to learn to use than Book but it gives the course creator/teacher infinitely more control over how the students work. When I was working, I used the Moodle 1.9 equivalent of TaskChain, QuizPort, and was very happy with it.

Cheers,

Glenys

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Chip Wiegand -

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I will look at taskchain, I believe I already have it installed, just haven't used it. I am trying to get a website built but the time it is taking is getting longer and longer, partly due to having to learn so many new ways of doing it (moodle, task chain, hotpot). But ok, I will  take the time learn it so it will work the way I hope for it.

Thanks,

Chip