How to keep Moodle data safe from server admins?

How to keep Moodle data safe from server admins?

by Ohto Nordberg -
Number of replies: 3

Is it possible to prevent the access to Moodle data (user information, any content of any course ...) from the administrators who run the physical server and the operating system where Moodle resides?

I am considering external server which is ran by possible strangers. Can I make Moodle data safe somehow? Is there a way keeping the data safe without having to trust the server admins?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ohto Nordberg

Re: How to keep Moodle data safe from server admins?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

That is a bit like asking "How do I keep my money safe from my banker"? A lot of it relies on going with a reputable company that has professional standards.

However, other parts rely on various security measures. E.g. if you rent a safe deposit box at a bank, probably only you have a key and the bank does not. Similarly, probably only you have things like the database passwords. However, most databases are designed for speed, not security, so that raw data on disc is probably not secure. Your database is like a safe deposit box made of glass, so anyone who can get into the room where it is could see what was inside, even without unlocking it. This is probably not a major risk (?). If you are really worried, there are probably ways to encrypt the storage.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Ohto Nordberg

Re: How to keep Moodle data safe from server admins?

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Ohto,

Just as safe as the information that you handle to your doctor, your lawyer or your priest.

The only way to keep it safe (and even so... thinking about hackers & crackers), is to set up and run your own server, which is actually not that difficult, at least if you are to run a relatively small to medium installation.