Lesson settings in 2.7

Lesson settings in 2.7

by Allida Branton -
Number of replies: 3

I am new to Moodle.  I am trying to create lessons.  I chose to use lesson over book because of the option to add questions.  In my case the questions are not graded so I chose Yes for Practice lesson.  I also chose Yes for Allow student review.  The lessons replace textbook content with a self-assessment option for the students.  I am having trouble with the Provide option to try question again option.  I would like students to have the option to try the question again.  That seems straightforward.  If a student choose an incorrect answer the go back to the quiz.  I discovered in the forum that the Number of attempts option is over ridden if you use the try question again option.  So it seems the students can end up in an endless cycle.

Has anyone created an if - then  grid for the Lesson options?  It would save a lot of time if you didn't have to discover for yourself what options over ride other options.

Where/how do you update the jump for the option No, I just want to go to the next question.  Right now it goes back to the question.  (Also, I don't want the students to go to the next question.  I want them to go to the next page which is the beginning of another set of content which will have question at the end.  This is the same jump for students who answer the question correctly.

Is there a better activity option in Moodle to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks,  Allida

Attachment 2.7 Try again options.JPG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Allida Branton

Re: Lesson settings in 2.7

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Allida,

1.- "Where/how do you update the jump for the option No" Sorry Which "option No do you mean"?

2.- "I discovered in the forum that the Number of attempts option is over ridden if you use the try question again option."

Yes, this is correct.

"So it seems the students can end up in an endless cycle."

What do you mean by "endless cycle"?

3.- "I don't want the students to go to the next question.  I want them to go to the next page"

In the Lesson activity, a "question" and a "page" are the same object. So again I do not get your meaning.

4.- "I would like students to have the option to try the question again.  That seems straightforward."

Well, if you set the Number of attempts option to a number greater than 0, the students will be able to try to answer your questions as many times as that Number of attempts number. That is straightforward.

5.- "Has anyone created an if - then  grid for the Lesson options?  It would save a lot of time if you didn't have to discover for yourself what options over ride other options."

The answer is "No, not to my knowledge". As you have found out the (too?) large number of options available in the Lesson module makes it extremely difficult to understand the interactions between those options. It would be a daunting task to write the "grid" you want. The Lesson activity is a powerful, it offers lots of possibilities, but its interface needs a good re-vamp. That is in the pipeline, but probably not any time soon. In the meantime I suggest using the Lesson "as is", without playing too much with its default settings, and only changing them one at a time, to observe the consequences. There is no reason that you cannot achieve what you want to do, but you'll have to keep experimenting.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Allida Branton -

Joseph, thank you for the quick reply.  I will try to clarify -

1.- "Where/how do you update the jump for the option No" Sorry Which "option No do you mean"?

Please see the original attachment.  The button says "No , I just want to go to the next question."  Currently choosing this option takes the student back to the question (I assume somewhere the jump is "same page."  I don't want "same page" I want the "next page.")  I don't know where the option is located to change the jump option for this button.

"So it seems the students can end up in an endless cycle."

What do you mean by "endless cycle"?

If the student never chooses the correct answer and always chooses to try again, it is an endless cycle of trying again.  With no limit to the attempts there is nothing to stop the cycle.  And in this case with the "No , I just want to go to the next question." button also going back to the question.  You have to use the left lesson menu to move on.

Well, if you set the Number of attempts option to a number greater than 0, the students will be able to try to answer your questions as many times as that Number of attempts number. That is straightforward.

I sent another post about number of attempts.  I have 5 and three for the number of attempts but it never stops me continuing to attempt the question.  I can't seem to get it to work with the lesson settings I am using.  As I mentioned in the second post does it have to do with the fact that my questions are not graded?

Thanks,   Allida

In reply to Allida Branton

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

The reason for this behaviour is that you set both option "Provide option to try a question again" to Yes and "Maximum number of attempts" greater than 1. These options are incompatible! Actually, I've always thought that the "Provide option to try a question again" is misleading and should never be used.

What you call an endless cycle is not endless. If the student keeps selecting the wrong answer, and you have set both options as explained above, then the student will be stuck on the same page for as many times as the "Maximum number of attempts" you set!

OK now?

Joseph