3-min Vid Tutorial on Justin's *Excellent* YouTube Anywhere TinyMCE Plugin for 2.7

3-min Vid Tutorial on Justin's *Excellent* YouTube Anywhere TinyMCE Plugin for 2.7

by Clay Burell -
Number of replies: 5

If you suffer under dogmatic Google Apps IT Coordinators the way I do who force you to use second-rate apps like YouTube Capture, and want to tear your hair out because Moodle makes things so much easier, you might enjoy this quick demo of precisely that claim, showcasing the gorgeous ease of Justin Hunt's YouTube Anywhere plugin (hey Justin, any possibility this can work via Moodle on iPad, or is the Flash problem insurmountable? And is there an Atto version for 2.7 as well? Thank you for this.):

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clay Burell

Re: 3-min Vid Tutorial on Justin's *Excellent* YouTube Anywhere TinyMCE Plugin for 2.7

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Nice video, Clay.

Thanks for making it! Actually it should work on iPad. Instead of using the middle tab, you use the left hand tab "upload" and from there the iPad will give you the choice to take a video (or choose a video). YouTube Anywhere is a pretty good option for mobile devices, because it just handles all those file format issues.

I have an Atto version sketched out, but need the time to make it. I want to take the opportunity to make a number of "under the hood" improvements to the plugin, that will also make it into the TinyMCE version.

Justin

In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: 3-min Vid Tutorial on Justin's *Excellent* YouTube Anywhere TinyMCE Plugin for 2.7

by Clay Burell -

Great news, Justin smile

I'm trying to enable it in plugin settings, but hitting a wall with where to go and what to do to enter the required fields in the screenshot below. If you give pointers, I'll make a new tutorial showing this smile

yta fields

In reply to Clay Burell

by Clay Burell -

While on it, I'm seeing the message on iPad, "if your video is long, uploading could take a long time and may not be immediately available for playback."

To clarify, does this mean the filming is done on the device's hard drive, then uploaded to YouTube? Or is it rather a YouTube processing issue.

I ask because I need to know whether, say, an hour long class video is uploaded to Youtube when I click "insert," or if instead the uploading only starts then.

I tend to go back-to-back when filming classes with only a 10-minute break between them, which is precisely why YouTube Capture wouldn't do the job for me. I had the impression YTA films directly to YouTube's server, right?

In reply to Clay Burell

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

About 2 weeks ago I actually redid some of the docs to make it clearer. Google had changed a whole bunch of stuff around.

The info on that is here:

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=tinymce_youtube

And in the docs, which I will attach to this post. Actually I thought I had made a screencast, but I guess I just thought I had made a screencast. 

If that is not enough to go with, I will actually follow through and make the screencast. It is  a bit tricky from the outside, but once you have done it, you realise it was just a few clicks. Note that getting the API keys is the same for YouTube Anywhere as for the Google Docs repo, as for Picasa Repo. You can use the same keys. So you just need to do it once.

Official Moodle docs on getting Google API keys ...

https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Google_OAuth_2.0_setup

In reply to Justin Hunt

by Clay Burell -

Note that getting the API keys is the same for YouTube Anywhere as for the Google Docs repo, as for Picasa Repo. You can use the same keys. So you just need to do it once.

--Excellent news. I've already done GDocs repository, so should be easy. That "master account" bit still confuses, but I'll putz and see if I get it right.

Thanks, J.