Wordpress and subdomains

Wordpress and subdomains

by asha sterling -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I recently uploaded the Moodle files into my Cpanel File Manager and I just cannot get Moodle to work. I tried it as www.elainesterling.com/moodle which comes up as "Page Not Found" but oddly enough the address in the address bar changes to www.elainesterling.com/moodle/install.php. So after many hours of research I did not find anyone else with this problem. So, I figured maybe it has something to do with Wordpress so I found some threads on using a plugin called WP2moodle which did not work for me either. Then I saw a thread that said they to setup a subdomain for moodle. When I tried to create that I also got an error page that says I either have a misconfiguration, my IP address has changed or my site has moved: www.moodle.elainesterling.com

Has anyone run into this problem? Are there other options for using moodle through my website? I installed the Moodle 2.7.2+

Oh and I tried to contact my Webmaster for help but he doesn't know how to help...

Thanks!

Attachment Screen Shot 2014-10-09 at 5.36.29 PM.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to asha sterling

Re: Wordpress and subdomains

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Asha,

You are going to need to provide some more details about HOW you tried to install Moodle and your hosting set up for people to be able to help...

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by asha sterling -

Hi Jon, thank you very much for responding! 

My domain is hosted by a local company called Ehost solutions and my files are in Cpanel.

To install Moodle I downloaded the Moodle zip file 2.7.2+. Then I uploaded the file into my file manager on Cpanel under /public_html. Once uploaded I unzipped the files and the file is under /public_html/moodle. 

Then I went back to Cpanel and created a database under Mysqul wizard. I called it moodle and created a username and password. Then I went to php myadmin and changed the utf to general under the moodle database I created. Then when I went to elainesterling.com/moodle I got an error message. 

I feel like I am missing some step but I could not figure it out. So then I tried the subdomain. 

I went back to Cpanel and and went to subdomains and created moodle.elainesterling.com with the root file as /public_html. This also gave me the error message when I went to moodle.elainesterling.com.

Again, I feel like I am missing some step.

I hope I gave enough details, thanks again for your help!

by Robert Brenstein -
I think the step you are missing is to activate Moodle, which is actually having it install itself. You did all the prep work it seems. When your URL changes to install.php, Moodle tries to run its installer. If it fails, you may have not set the correct rights for the folders and/or files.
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by asha sterling -

Hi Robert,

Thanks for responding.

When I got to the url spaatesi.com/moodle it turns into spaatesi.com/moodle/install.php but the page just says 404 Error. How do I set correct rights for folders and files?

In reply to Jon Witts

by Phil Carlson -

I'm running into a similar problem, but I didn't use a subdomain. I installed Moodle into a folder under public_html.

So:

public_html

• Learn - my Moodle folder
  • wp-admin
  • wp-content
  • wp-includes

When I go to the site: www.connectedmarriage.org\learn it doesn't find Moodle. It finds Wordpress and tries to load that page.

My Moodle config file has the root as:

$CFG->wwwroot   = 'http://www.connectedmarriage.org/learn';

Do I need to change something in Wordpress?

In reply to Phil Carlson

by Guillermo Madero -

Hello Phil,

Web addressess are case sensitive, so given that the moodle directory is Learn, then you should type it with the capital "L", like so:

http://www.connectedmarriage.org/Learn/

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Phil Carlson -

Duh. So simple. I renamed the folder with a lower case and it's working.

Thanks!

In reply to Phil Carlson

by asha sterling -

Hi Phil,

So were you able to get your moodle to work with wordpress? What did you do to get it to work, I still can't get it to work. I noticed you mentioned that you changed something in the config file.. should I do this?

by Phil Carlson -

It sounds like your issue is different than mine. It sounds like you get to the installer, but then it stops.

by Richard Price -

Hi Asha,

Have noted that you have Cpanel, and you appear to be hosted by servint.net A few more details are needed as said by Jon,

The sort of details that would be really helpful are what Jon said and where you tried to install Moodle to:
So /var/www/html/
or /var/www/html/moodle/

And where wordpress is installed. I am guessing that you have installed wordpress at /var/www/html/ and tried to install moodle within /var/www/html/moodle/ or similar which I doubt would be a good thing.

It is possible to set up a server such that sub domains are listened to as your requirement.
/var/www/html/wordpress/ listens for to http://elainesterling.com/
/var/www/html/moodle/ listens for moodle.elainsterling.com/

On the last part of your question, you could need to update the details in the moodle config, to reflect where it is sited and what the root web address is (moodle.elainsterling.com). Just had another look, and can see that you are making changes at the moment. Hope you found out how to do this.

In reply to Richard Price

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Richard,

I beg to differ; there should be no problem what so ever with installing Wordpress at the root of the site and Moodle in a sub-folder... Wordpess should answer to http://elainesterling.com and then Moodle would be found at http://elainesterling.com/moodle

Jon

In reply to Jon Witts

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yes, if he has the shell, it is as simple as setting a soft link inside the Wordpress directory. But the OP is in Cpanel, which might get confused. I haven't used CPanel, just a guess.