Expertus ONE vs Moodle - one killer feature

Expertus ONE vs Moodle - one killer feature

by Matthew Goral -
Number of replies: 3

Hi,

We're currently on Moodle, but we're looking around with the thought of migrating to somewhere else. I am advocating we stick with Moodle and work on it, by changing the theme, investing in some plugins, etc., as most features that other LMSs have are not really deal breakers and Moodle can handle almost everything.

Apart from version control which is where Expertus ONE apparently shines.

You can create individual activities separately, then bundle them into courses, then bundle courses into programmes or curricula. This means that if you want to update something, it automatically does the right thing across the courses. This means you can build highly customised solutions with reusable content with proper version control. Which is awesome.

We just got a sales pitch, so I have no hands-on experience. Has anybody used it? Has anyone been able to get Moodle to do that (the closest I came was using the same file across different courses with links)?

Matt

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthew Goral

Re: Expertus ONE vs Moodle - one killer feature

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

That strikes me as a very nice feature, but not a killer/decision making feature.

Marcus

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Dave Perry -
Picture of Testers

+1 for what Marcus said. You still have to think through the permissions structure when you assemble the courses and tie them together, whether it's meta courses or this alternative LMS' way of doing it.

(Bear in mind with META courses in moodle, you can link enrolments to one page (e.g. a programme welcome page) to a course page. I'm more than half way through changing one department of ours to use this model, with a resource library page that everyone can see.)

In reply to Matthew Goral

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes, I have had sales pitches from a number of organizations and this is a new one. The trouble is that the pitch and the reality do not often meet successfully. What looks good in demo, at first glance, is more often less than useful in the overall need of the organization.  

A similar thing can be done in Moodle, by manually shifting courses into new specific categories, creating meta-courses as suggested, or maybe a number of other possibilities... doesn't matter. Version control for an educational product is not a helpful tool, I suggest. Either your product meets current standards or it does not. If it does not, then keeping a version different than the requirement is of no practical value - in fact it could be disastrous. If newer ideas for presentation or delivery are instigated, then keeping the old ones is a waste of time. If you want the root material, take a backup and store that, several ways to do that too.  

I know this is a black and white response, but in modern education there is no half solutions, only absolutes. (This indicates more about the people who are paying making demands on education systems than it does about educators, btw.)