Essential Theme bug? Scorm package will not load in new window.

Essential Theme bug? Scorm package will not load in new window.

by Emma Richardson -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am running essential having switched to allow for IE8 functionality.  Just discovered that Scorm package will not load in a new window.  It loads just fine on same page.  If I switch themes, it will load in the new window.  But with Essential, I just get a spinning icon and it never loads.  The Scorm package is being generated by Articulate.

Please help!!  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Emma Richardson

Re: Essential Theme bug? Scorm package will not load in new window.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Emma,

Ok, usual pre-replication questions:

1. What version of Essential?
  2. What version of Moodle?

Umm, how did you 'switched to allow for IE8 functionality'?

The spinning icon means that the single threaded ECMAScript engine (JavaScript) has failed because of one of the scripts (from anywhere), therefore are there any errors in the browser console?

Ok, I'm sorry, but I need a rant about IE8....

IE8 is old.  It is now unsupported by Microsoft whom are doing everything they can to get people to not use it.  This includes a compatibility mode in the IE11 enterprise version.  IE8 is buggy with security issues.  It is an 'ex-browser', it has popped off its perch and joined the choir invisible, a Norwegian Blue Parrot has a longer life span and more likely to be alive.  A Schrödinger experiment would demonstrate that it is dead.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please do everything in your power (including Active Directory MSI deployment) to get it removed and upgraded.  To have to support such an out of date browser only wastes time which could be productively put to use elsewhere (including sleeping).

Yes I know that users are still using it and that management with no concept of the risk they are taking are still insisting on it.  Please convince them otherwise.

Rant over for now.

Gareth

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Sorry, I hit send and went out and then realized you would need all the necessary info.  Moodle build is Moodle2.7+ (Build: 20140522).  Essential build is 2.7.6b (Build: 2014082401).

Just saw there is a new version - trying to get it to update...getting the target folder already exists deal. 

I am totally with you on the IE8 functionality - I so tried to get around that but apparently our whole healthcare system is stuck on it.  Scary, huh?  Not my system at all, just one I am doing some consultant work for.  I could not find any errors in the browser console - using chrome developer tools..will try again.

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Very scary!  And thanks for the information smile

I have a virtual Windows XP install so will see if Essential looks better in Netscape Navigator ;)

Please tell them that IE11 has an IE8 compatibility mode -> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn640687.aspx

by Emma Richardson -

They will not switch browsers o r I would have stayed with the pretty elegance theme that I built and customized for them! FYI this is actually happening in all browsers and as mentioned only with essential theme. Was there any change in the latest version that might resolve this?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Umm, I thought so as I've just patched popup.php, but that was only for 2.7.8.

If happening in all browsers, then the console should show the error, which would be helpful! smile

by Emma Richardson -

I am not seeing anything but maybe I am not looking in the right place - can you direct me to exactly where I would see the error in Chrome Developer tools - I have gone through all of it I think and not picking anything up.

Do you have a Scorm package that you could see if you can replicate?

by Gareth J Barnard -

I don't have a SCORM package to replicate with.  Can you provide one please Emma?

In Chrome, press F12 and look at the console.

by Gareth J Barnard -

Hi Emma,

Ok, I tested on Chrome 37 and IE 11 and could not replicate and tested in Clean too.  I put IE11 into IE8 mode and could replicate, but then was able to replicate with the Clean theme too.  I then fired up Windows XP and ran IE8 itself and could not replicate (it works!), I also tried with the Clean theme and it works but the styles are faulty and do not work at all.

This is all very problematic for a browser which is now history.  If it is still used then fair enough, but it is just one program.  There should be nothing to stop you installing another browser that does work alongside IE.  After all, Firefox works on Win XP.

Kind regards,

Gareth

by Gareth J Barnard -

I also wanted to see what the theme looks like in Netscape Navigator 9.0.0.6, so please see attached.  Demonstrating that old browsers do need to be updated as technology moves forward.

Attachment 2014-10-10 11_30_54-Windows XP Mode - Windows Virtual PC.png

by Emma Richardson -

Good news - was finally able to get the theme updated to latest version and that resolved it.  Must have been a bug with the previous version that you inadvertently fixed in the latest release!!  Thanks again for you help!

by Gareth J Barnard -

In that case Emma, please do use the donation button for the theme smile

by Emma Richardson -
Honestly, if I could have got them to install another browser, I would still be on Elegance!  (Not that Essential isn't a great theme, but I started with Elegance and then had to start from scratch again!)  They will not budge so we are stuck.  

Disappointed that you could not replicate...well, not for the theme ; ), but for my situation.  Will look at what plugins I have that might be affecting.  I have some css changes but nothing that should really affect this as far as I can see..

Thank you so much for testing - will go back to the drawing board...

by Scott Karren -

Emma,

I am curious to know what Essential looks like in IE 8.  I have been testing Essential 2.7.8c in IE 9 and it looks horrible.  How have you gotten it to work in 8?

FYI Gareth, I used to work in healthcare and their IT is generally 3 to 4 years behind current software releases. When I left in 2011 the hospital I worked at was just rolling out Microsoft Office 2007 wide eyes.  This has alot to do with the medical systems used and compatibility needs.

Scott

In reply to Scott Karren

by Emma Richardson -

Essential is looking pretty darn good in IE8 which is why I switched.  I think it has to be one of the latest releases - if I remember right, this was something that just got implemented.

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have a Laptop (XP + IE8) which I use for testing and from memory I thought Essential looked OK too in IE8.