Having issues with 'basic use' of File Repository

Having issues with 'basic use' of File Repository

by Jean Jones Grey -
Number of replies: 5

Ok, I've been going through the instructions here on creating a site-wide File Repository: https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/File_system_repository

I enabled File Repository:

Enabled File Repo

Under 'Creating folders for your file system repositories,' it says to create a 'repository' folder under /moodleddata (which I did) and then in side that folder, create as many folders as needed (which I did).

Then it says to 'Create a repository instance' and specify an instance. So I give it the name of a folder in the /repository named 'virt.'

I click on the Save button--and it looks like it's busy for a second and nothing happens.

I go to a class to see if this repository is available in the File PIcker and it's not there.

Any ideas why it isn't working? I'm using Moodle 7.2.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean Jones Grey

Re: Having issues with 'basic use' of File Repository

by Jean Jones Grey -

Looking at other docs, it looks like it's not seeing the folders created under /repository. Does anyone know what the chmod/ownership permissions should be on these?

I have all my folders' permissions set to 755 and the files in the folders are 644.

Also, once we have this working, will course developers be able to load videos into directories (such as /virt) from with inside their course?

We'll have a dozen people adding classes and I don't think our IT dept wants people FTPing into the server. It looks like  you should be able to just click on Upload Files next to any course to upload and then be able to use File Picker to add the files in the File Repository to any course.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello there. I can't help with the folder visibility I'm afraid - assuming you have created your folders inside moodledata/repository then hopefully others can advise on that. However, teachers will not be able to upload videos INTO the file system repo (eg virt) because repositories are things you pick up files from and not upload files into. To add files to a File system repository you need to have FTP access to that actual virt (or other) folder on your server and then you will see it in your file picker in your course.

You might like to explore WebDAV repository which serves as an alternative for some people.

But it depends on what you want: if you just want your teachers to be able to upload videos and access them from other courses then they can click the Upload files button and then when they are in other courses they can access the videos from Recent files (if they uploaded them) or Server files if they are teachers in the other courses.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jean Jones Grey -

Hi Mary,

With the teacher permissions, I'm wondering if we could just create a role that is an admin-teacher hybrid where I can give them 'mini admin' access.

Using my test server (moodle 2.6), I was finally able to set up the File Repository plugin and specify instance as 'maven' for that plugin. Then for the Upload a file plugin (also under 'Repositories,' I specified 'maven' as the repository. This enabled it so that in the File picker, it shows two icons for the repository. When I select the top one, it shows me files loaded there. When I select the lower one, it looks like it will let me upload to there.  

This is the exact functionality that I'm looking for. The problem is:

1) The directories inside the /repository under /moodledata aren't showing up... it's just the repository files all lumped together. (I guess that's what you're referring about the permissions.)

2) Although this is working on my 2.6 test server, the File Repository plugin is NOT working on my 2.7 final server at all. 

Would the WebDAV repository give us this dual functionality of adding from a repository and uploading to one?

I've been using Moodle for a while now--and I'm not complaining - because it's free and I appreciate being able to benefit from the work of all these great contributors... smile but I'm just feeling a little frustrated at this point, this seems like such a basic need that most people would be looking for (at least in a business environment).

Thanks,

Jean

by Jean Jones Grey -

Ok, i was able to get the File Repository plugin working in 2.7. I just had to disable the plugin and then enable it again. So it will populate the File Picker now as a repository. It's not showing the directories though. 

And when I use the Upload a file plugin to point to the repository, it does, but when I load a file in File Picker, it's not allowing me to upload files to it (even though I'm logged in as Administrator). 

The security requirements for our servers--both internal and external--are not going to allow 20 people to just be able to FTP files to the repository.

So, this is yet another Repository plugin that won't be able to provide any usefulness for us. mixed

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Jean

> Ok, i was able to get the File Repository plugin working in 2.7. ... It's not showing the directories though.

I haven't checked. But wouldn't be surprised if the File System Repository does not support directories. The Moodle repository system is made for the basic user who does not think in directories. (Well, even if they do, they'll call them folders.)

> And when I use the Upload a file plugin to point to the repository, it does, but when I load a file in File Picker, it's not allowing me to upload files to it (even though I'm logged in as Administrator).

The File System Repostory is read-only for Moodle.

> The security requirements for our servers--both internal and external--are not going to allow 20 people to just be able to FTP files to the repository.

Well, I wouldn't buy those "security requirements". Often it just means that the IT dept. doesn't want more work. It is also possible that they got shocked by the loose usage of the term FTP, what we here mean is SCP/SFTT (the S stands for secure).

> So, this is yet another Repository plugin that won't be able to provide any usefulness for us.

I would do my homework before making allegations.