Reorder or Remove columns from the Grading Page

Reorder or Remove columns from the Grading Page

by Cori Murphy -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I've not seen this posted anywhere and am hoping for help with the display/view of grading an assignment. We are running Moodle 2.6.4, Essential Theme, IIS virtual server

When I want to grade an assignment and look at the quick grading screen which lists all the participants, there are many fields/columns that we don't need.  These include user email, etc. These columns extend the list towards the right and push the more relevant columns such as file submission and feedback files towards the right side/ end, where they are hard to see on many monitors. THe scrollbar on the bottom is a bit annoying if there are large groups being displayed.

Does anyone know if we can reorder the columns so that File Submission and Feedback Files are closer to the left/front, and can we remove unwanted columns such as User picture

Thanks

Cori

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Cori Murphy

Re: Reorder or Remove columns from the Grading Page

by Catherine Lamy-Pilon -

Ah!

This is a GREAT question! I want to know too! 

In reply to Catherine Lamy-Pilon

by Jeffrey Thomas -

Add me to the list of inquiring minds that want to know how to change the grading column display set:  

When I (painstakingly) minimize the unwanted columns, that setting is retained for my login session.  But a new login produces the fully-open display of all columns.  This is especially irritating because the browser is apparently not loading all the cells of the table--there is no horizontal scrollbar (Should this itself be a tracker issue?).

Perhaps a course-level administrator could define a set of columns to display; 

or a checkbox could allow any user to fix the currently-maximized (or -minimized) set of columns to persist across login sessions (i.e. set a flag for this course, for this user).

Or a sysadmin could minimize certain columns by default, for all courses in a domain (then I would have to appeal to my sysadmin). 

We are running v2.7, displayed on MacOS, tested with both firefox and chrome.

In reply to Cori Murphy

by Rajneel Totaram -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

You may want to have a look at the following discussion: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231488

It discusses what you want to do and provides some solutions.

Hope this helps.

In reply to Rajneel Totaram

by Jeremy Bourdon -

I have also posted in the topic that Rajneel linked but I will post here as well. I agree this would be a great feature to add to moodle. The assignment marking page can be a bit of a nightmare to navigate. Ranjeel's solution posted in the the other topic requires a certain degree of programing knowledge (of which I have none). There were also other solutions posted which used CSS to hide columns (this method isn't effective for me as the columns change depending on whether your assignment allows online text submissions and/or online file submissions). 

I also started another topic about the assignment grading page, (which has zero replies currently) on the width of the online text column changing randomly from assignment to assignment. 

Generally speaking it would be a nice feature to have more control over this page or a set of explicit instructions for a non programer like myself to implement Rajneel's solution in the other topic. 

In reply to Jeremy Bourdon

by Rajneel Totaram -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
I agree the solutions discussed in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231488 do require some degree of programming knowledge and will require changes to Moodle code. I don't believe that currently there is a way to configure the Assignment Grading page from the UI.

Ideally what is needed is this:

• The Assignment grading table should be configurable at course level, with options to choose which columns will be visible and their order of appearance.
  • The Assignment grading table should have a drag and drop feature to re-order columns.
  • An Admin setting to define/configure the Assignment grading table structure (visible columns and their order). This structure can then by applied at site level for all courses to maintain consistency across courses.
However this will need some work to get implemented.

Therefore, currently the only option seems to make changes to the code. Only changing the CSS will not work in all situations, as the Assignment grading table columns get an automatic id value set. So depending on the options enabled for the assignment, the grading table column ids may be different for different assignments.

This is why changing the Moodle PHP code (as I did in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=231488#p1067586) provides a more robust workaround. I also combined related columns into a single column (eg; all submissions are listed in a single column instead of having their own columns). Most of the changes need to happen in the gradingtable.php file in /mod/assign folder. Also, at our institution we've limited the options available when setting up the Assignment dropbox. This again helps in controlling the view of the grading table.