Assignment feedback notifications in 2.6

Assignment feedback notifications in 2.6

by Lisa McIver -
Number of replies: 4

Hi all

I have a member of staff who is adding assignment feedback (via quick grading option), but who is saying that students are not receiving email notifications that their assignments have been graded.

I've checked the individual preferences of one of the students in question , and I can't see an issue - I've also tested this out in one of my courses, and my students are definitely being notified of feedback having been made .

In any case... the teacher is now trying to 'resend' feedback notifications by editing the text based feedback (via quick grading), however this has not caused another notification to be sent (nor has it done this on my own test assignment).

All of which is a long pre-amble to my question...

In Moodle 2.6, if a teacher edits the assignment feedback via the quick grading option, should we expect it to generate a new notification to the student?  The teacher swears that in Moodle 2.5 this is exactly what used to happen (but to be honest I really can't recall one way or another).

Thanks in advance...

Lisa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa McIver

Re: Assignment feedback notifications in 2.6

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Make sure you have email enabled site wide for this (not just in the courses):

Site Admin -- Plugs Ins -- Message Outputs -- Default message outputs

There are different options for you to check off under the Email column.

Some of these options pertain to students, others for teachers, and others for admins. The link below will outline which is which:

https://docs.moodle.org/27/en/Messaging_settings

In reply to Lisa McIver

by Lisa McIver -

Hi John

Thanks for your response, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Unfortunately I can't see a setting that requires notification of grading to occur every time the teacher modifies the feedback - maybe I've just missed it?

Our students are being notified of grading when it first occurs (which is fine for most of our users/courses), but we have one case where the teacher updates the feedback regularly - she's rather hoping that notifications can be sent out for each update as well.

I don't know if anyone else has found a way of doing this?

Many thanks

Lisa

In reply to Lisa McIver

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I cannot swear to this because it has been a long time since I tried it but I thought that students only got notified the first time and not on subsequent times... it will be good to  hear the experiences of others.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Notifications only go out once. (An exception may be the whole submit draft, receive feedback, revert to draft, submit draft, receive feedback, revert to draft type of Assignment, but since we don't use it, I don't know for sure.)

The workaround is to select all students in messaging and send them a message that the feedback has been updated.

Too, I would inquire to be certain that *all* students didn't receive the first notification.

And, I note this about notifications in 2.6+ about Assignment notifications: "If enabled, graders (usually teachers) receive a message whenever a student submits an assignment, early, on time and late. Message methods are configurable."