Importing questions from HotPotatoes Jmix

Importing questions from HotPotatoes Jmix

by Bruno Marmier -
Number of replies: 5
Hi everybody,

I want to import a jmix quizz into moodle.

My question is, I would like to have all five questions imported into a unique moodle activity and have a results table for question 1,2,3,4,5.

The way I did it, I have five activities, with a results table for each of them.

You can see the activity here:
http://www.academiavirtual.net/cursos/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=200
Petit test - mots mélangés
Guest are allowed.

Is there a way to have a single activity with multiple HotPot questions.

Regards
Bruno Marmier

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bruno Marmier

Re: Importing questions from HotPotatoes Jmix

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bruno,
at the moment it is not possible to treat a chain of HotPot activities as a single entity. The best that can be done at present is what you seem to have already done, namely, to add each quiz individually to the course making sure that the "Show next quiz" on each quiz's settings page is set to "Yes". Then as one quiz finishes the student automatically will be shown the next quiz without returning to the course page.

However, as you have probably discovered, just setting "Show next quiz" to "Yes" still leaves the quiz appearing on the course page, which means that students could do the quizzes in an order which you did not intend. It also clutters up the course page. Probably this is not as good as you want smile

In the first two weeks of August I will be enhancing the Moodle to allow a chain of HotPot quizzes (such as your 5 JMix activities) to be added to a course with a single "Add activity". Behind the scenes, the quizzes will be added as individual activities. However, all but the first will be added as "hidden" activities, so the students will only see and be able to access the first activity on the course page. Perhaps, that is more how you would like the chain to behave?

I am interested to know how you would like the reports to show the results of the quizzes? From what you say, I suspect that you would like the results of the 5 JMix quizzes to appear on a single report. That would require a further enhancement to the module, but it would be possible.

best regards
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Bruno Marmier -
Hi Gordon,
Many thanks for your answer.
Actually, you guess exactly what I wanted to do. And what I want not to have, namely the list of the five activies, which allow student to do them in the order they want to, or which may missguide them. And of course, it takes some space on the page.

I've tried to hide them, but when there are hidden, there are not accessible anymore for the students sad,
so it doesn't make sense to do that.

But actually, there is no hurry, and if you are working on a hotpot module with more than one questions in it, I will just wait for it.
I don't know if I can help. My php/mysql knowledge may be not good enough to be useful, but if you need, I am ready to install a beta version and make some test.

Regards
Bruno

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Thanks for the kind offer of help Bruno. I'll make an annoucement on this list when the enhanced module is available for testing, so you can put it through its paces smile

all the best
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Having seen a demo of the enhanced Hotpot module at the UK Moodle Moot, I'm really looking forward to its release! tongueout

A big THANK YOU to Gordon! big grin

by Gordon Bateson -

Dear Bruno,
some time has passed since you made your kind offer of help with the testing of the new module. I wonder if you still have time and energy to help with the testing?

The latest version is "HotPot v2.1". It can add and update a "chain" of quizzes as a single entity. You can tell the module to "next exercise" links in the quiz source files, or you tell the module to treat all quizzes in single folder as a "chain".

I do not recommend using "HotPot v2.1" on a live Moodle site just yet, because it needs to be tested more.

If you have your own test Moodle site, you can download "HotPot v2.1" from the bottom of the following page:
    http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/

If you do not have your own test site, you are welcome to upload chains of quizzes to my server. Here are the login details:

best regards
Gordon