Moodle Trademark in Japan

Moodle Trademark in Japan

- Martin Dougiamas の投稿
返信数: 9
Hi, Japanese Moodlers!

Just for general information of Moodlers here, our Moodle trademark has cleared the final stage of registration in Japan!  賛成

Just as it does in other countries, this trademark covers any public use of the word "Moodle" in relation to the providing of commercial Moodle services, such as hosting, consulting, training, development, customisation, translation, etc.

Currently, this means only Moodle Partners are allowed to use the word Moodle in this commercial context in Japan or on Japanese web sites.

If such services are not involved then there are no restrictions, so for example this does not affect people who just use Moodle or who want to talk about Moodle in papers or web sites and so on.

Regards,
Martin
評点平均: Usefulness: ★★★★★★★ (1)
Martin Dougiamas への返信

Re: Moodle Trademark in Japan

- Timothy Takemoto の投稿

I take the libery of translating Martin's message above into Japanese. 和訳させていただいます。

武本

日本人のムードル利用者の皆様 拝啓

日本でのムードルの登録商標手続きが完了しました!

ということでムードルトレードマークというのは、諸外国と同様、ホスティング・コンサルタント業務・訓練・ソフト開発・カストマイズ化・翻訳などのサービスにからむ商業目的で一般公開された場での「moodle」(ムードル?)という言葉の使用を制限する登録商標です。

現在では、日本国内及び日本語のウェッブサイトで、このような商業目的での「Moodle」という言葉の利用は、ムードルパートナーのみに限定されています。

上述したサービスがなければ制限はありませんので、ムードルを使ったりムードルについて話し合ったりしたい方には影響がありません。

敬具
マーティン

Timothy Takemoto への返信

- Minoru Akiyama の投稿
秋山@eラーニングサービスです

マーチンのこのアナウンスだけでは、誤解を生むので、補足説明をします。
  • Moodleという言葉をサービスの名称として使うのはいけない
  • サービスの内容の説明としてMoodleという言葉を使うのはかまわない
  • moodle.co.jpのようにURLとして使うのはかまわない
  • 自社のロゴなどにMoodleという言葉を使ってはいけない
以上はマーチンから言われたことですが、私の英語の理解力が足りないかもしれません。
Minoru Akiyama への返信

- Martin Dougiamas の投稿
From the translation I have, what you are saying is generally correct, yes.  The only issue that might not be clear from what you have said is that although one can own and use a domain name containing my name "moodle", it may not be a business-oriented site.

moodle.co.jp is currently fine, because it's not a commercial site.

Martin Dougiamas への返信

- Minoru Akiyama の投稿

Dear Matin,

I did misunderstand what you said. I'll provide "moodle.co.jp" for new comers in Japan to try moodle for free. Is it OK?

Minoru Akiyama への返信

- Martin Dougiamas の投稿
If you are using moodle.co.jp as a way to promote your e-Learning-Service then that would not be OK.

moodle.co.jp  --->  e-Learning-Service.co.jp    悲しい

As a service to the Moodle community, how about making that site redirect to this course so they can try it here?   Or you could even donate the domain to the Moodle Trust.

moodle.co.jp  --->  moodle.org     笑顔
Martin Dougiamas への返信

- Minoru Akiyama の投稿
Dear Martin,

As you said "moodle.co.jp" ---> "moodle.org" is OK, then "moodle.co.jp" for Japanese moodlers is OK?
"moodle.co.jp" administrator will be some of moodlers except e-Learniong Service LPC..
If it's OK, e-Learning Service will provide a server machine.
Minoru Akiyama への返信

- Martin Dougiamas の投稿
No, what I'm saying is that we already have a good site here for Japanese moodlers on moodle.org, so it makes sense for you to save yourself the trouble and redirect moodle.co.jp to send users here, particularly as you won't be using it commercially anyway.

Very soon even the content on the front page of moodle.org will appear in Japanese to Japanese users, so it makes good sense.
Martin Dougiamas への返信

- Don Hinkelman の投稿
Hi Martin, Tim, and Minoru,

Sorry for not joining in discussions.  Although I am subscribed to many forums, my enrollment in Japanese Moodle keeps cutting out after 30 days!  笑顔

Thank you, Minoru, for your hard work promoting Moodle at our language teaching conferences, training new people in Moodle, and developing an adaptive English test.  I hope there are many consultants like you to spread this powerful elearning tool across Japan.

Thank you also for saving the moodle.co.jp domain from outsiders.  It would be sad if that valuable name was taken by a non-member.  Now in my personal opinion, I think the moodle domains (moodle.co.jp, moodle.ne.jp, moodle.or.jp, moodle.jp) would best be used for community purposes.  For example, I would like to see moodle.co.jp be a place where Moodle customers in Japan could go to see information about all the service companies available to them.  I think Moodle Partners of course would be given priority, but I think there is room for consultants to play a role too. 

Of course, that is my personal opinion.  Martin owns the trademark for Moodle around the world.  That is a good thing, because without that his family would have no income and Moodle as open source would die.  I am looking forward to good agreement here and a prosperous growth for all of us!   笑顔

Don
Don Hinkelman への返信

- Minoru Akiyama の投稿
Hi Don,

thank you for your advice.
I agree your opinion.
So I'll give "moodle.co.jp" to Martin and "moodle.jp" to Japanese moodlers.
Please contact me for moving domains.

Minoru