Coming Soon - Moodle Social Format "eCommunity"

Coming Soon - Moodle Social Format "eCommunity"

από Chris Kenniburg -
Αριθμός απαντήσεων: 18
Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers

We are very close to having a new social course format for Moodle that closely mimics Edmodo or Facebook in Moodle.  This new course format will be released to the community once completed.  The project has been 2 years in the making with only recently securing funds to have a Moodle partner develop the social course format.  The Michigan REMC organization has taken lead on helping fund this project and it will first be made available to Michigan K-12 school districts followed closely by the full Moodle community.  

Here are some current screen shots and an article on moodlenews.com
http://www.moodlenews.com/2014/take-a-sneak-peek-at-the-socialfacebookedmodo-course-format-for-moodle/

Μέσος όρος βαθμολογίας:Useful (5)
Σε απάντηση σε Chris Kenniburg

Re: Coming Soon - Moodle Social Format "eCommunity"

από Randy Thornton -
Φωτογραφία Documentation writers

Chris,

This is great news. When I get requests to help someone make a Moodle site "more social" it is always a challenge to do so. Forums and even tag clouds are pretty old school now and only go so far. This format looks very promising.

Randy

από Chris Kenniburg -

In our original scope we wanted a filter created that would find and embed links similar to how Facebook handles a link.  I think the developers are still working on that aspect.  So if you type in a url it should grab the title of the page and embed an image.  

With this format a Moodle course is turned into a "learning stream" of activities, resources, and interactions.  I am personally really excited to see it finished.  I first posted this on the Moodle jobs board almost 2 years ago! Because of the scope and depth of the project the quotes we got were quite pricey.  So we had to build interest and find a source of funding.  That is where the Michigan REMC organization comes in.  They saw the potential and value in helping build this. Without their support this would just be a nice idea.    

από Mark Andrews -

Hi Chris,

This does look interesting!

Not sure if this helps but a while back I played with creating a filter that tool URL's and grabbed content and links. I have a couple of videos here:

• (embeds a description and link)
  • (displays the whole page)

It uses the readability API to do the processing. It's a bit of a hack but I think the ides could be strong. The code is on github (https://github.com/mnandrews/moodle_filter_readability) , happy to discuss it further if useful.

Cheers Mark

από Derek Chirnside -

Great.

How close is this to being released?

-Derek

Σε απάντηση σε Derek Chirnside

από Chris Kenniburg -

We are working on closing out the project with the developers.  There are a few loose ends to tidy up and once payment is made we would first roll this out to all Michigan K-12 school districts using Moodle.  After that we would work out any bugs found in the initial release out in the wild and then post it to the Moodle.org plugins.  

This plugin is only made possible by the support of the Michigan REMC organization and the excellent staff at Synergy Learning who are developing it for us.

The Michigan REMC organization services all K-12 school districts in Michigan.

από Chris Kenniburg -

Demo of the new eCommunity Course Format

από Chris Kenniburg -

I am working on giving the evolve-D the proper CSS tweaks to really make this new course format shine!  

evolve-D will have a great look and style for the social wall found in the eCommunity social course format.  I am hoping to have custom colors selectable from the admin panel specifically for the social wall and some nice css styling to make it easier to read and use.  

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_evolved

από Gareth J Barnard -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Particularly helpful Moodlers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers

I watched the video Chris and may I say 'very cool' so exciting to have a new and unique course format on the horizon.  Could you make a screen cast showing how students interact with the posts please.

Σε απάντηση σε Gareth J Barnard

από Chris Kenniburg -

Students can do 2 things:  

• Comment on existing posts.  
  • Create new posts with 2 capabilites: add files and add URLs.

Teachers can turn on/off adding files and URLs.

What is really nice is when a teacher adds an Assignment or Quiz that grade will appear in the social wall within the post.  This video demonstrates that:

από Chris Fryer -

Hi Chris

This looks really interesting.  I have one observation, which I hope is constructive.  The comments on items posted to the wall are ordered with the most recent first, which might make a conversation hard to follow.

I'm really looking forward to the release.

Chris

Σε απάντηση σε Chris Fryer

από Chris Kenniburg -

Great idea Chris.  We will be trying to generate a list of things to improve once the initial launch.  

από Farhan Karmali -
Φωτογραφία Core developers Φωτογραφία Plugin developers Φωτογραφία Testers
This is such a nice format, something I always wanted.

Not to pester you much, I just wanted to know if there is any ETA or anywhere from git that I can grab a quick preview of this?

από Chris Kenniburg -

The project is done.  The code is being reviewed.  Synergy Learning is who we contracted with to do the development.  We hope to hear from them soon.  Once they have a finished product we will roll this out first to Michigan Public School districts.  Then the general Moodle community.

January 9th at the Michigan Moodle Moot

από Chris Kenniburg -

We plan to release the new eCommunity Social Format at the Michigan Moodle Moot on January 9th 2015.  http://mimoodlemoot.org/

More info on the project:  http://www.synergy-learning.com/first-kind-moodle-plugin-encourages-social-learning/

We are working with Synergy Learning and they are doing a killer job putting this all together.  They are wrapping up development and working on putting the finishing touches on.  

Once it is rolled out to Michigan schools we will put the entire project on Github and in the Moodle plugins Directory. 

The REMC.org made this project possible with funding.  A project of this scope is no easy undertaking.  

Can't wait for the Michigan Moodle Moot!!!

Re: January 9th at the Michigan Moodle Moot

από Chris Kenniburg -

The product is finished.  We have the files and all is set to go for releasing this at the Michigan Moodle Moot.  

Synergy Learning did an outstanding job putting this all together.  

All is set and ready to go for next year.  We are just going to be putting some documentation together so that you will be able to install it properly.  There are 4 components to make this work fully.

The Evolve-D theme in version 1.0.3 has special styling that works best with the new social learning format.  It adds a nice and clean look for the social wall.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_evolved

Demo Video located on this thread:

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=277170