Updating File Alias/Shortcut

Updating File Alias/Shortcut

by Nathan Robert -
Number of replies: 5

Hi, so if I have a file added to a topic as a File resource or in a Folder, and there are several Files in other Topics that are dependant on that file and act as an alias/shortcut to it; how can I then update the actual file (not it's details) without breaking any of the links?

So from here (see image below) I can't seem to find anyway to update/replace the Document1test.pdf without deleting it and selecting/uploading the new file. Which breaks all the links and forces the aliases/shortcuts to create "true copies" of which would now be the outdated pdf. 

scrnsht of editing a File resource in Moodle

Is there any way to make it so I wont have to go to each of the alias/shortcuts and reselect which file it should be looking to? The only thing I can think of is replacing the files on the server but that is possibly more inconvenient and can't easily be done by just anyone using the Moodle interface.

Thanks

Moodle: 2.6.3+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nathan Robert

Re: Updating File Alias/Shortcut

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
You don't actually click on the original file but instead, where the original file resides - maybe in your Private files repository? - you upload the new version with the same name and you will be prompted to override the previous one with the same name. If you do that then it will update the first one there and in other places it is linked to. (I'm just going to clarify the documentation Working with files to add this.)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nathan Robert -

Ah ok. Yes that works, thanks v much.

There definitely needs to be an overwrite/replace file button implemented I think.

In reply to Nathan Robert

by Conor Bradley -

If I create an alias link to a file in course where a student doesn't have access, will they be able to access that file or not? Is this were I need to create a copy of the file?

In reply to Conor Bradley

by ben reynolds -

No. If you're not enrolled in the course your are told you cannot have the file.

My solution to this is to store the file somewhere other than Moodle because making multiple copies in multiple locations is a pain to deal with if the content of the file needs to be changed.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Whitesides -

Hi Mary, I'm experiencing the same issue. I tried replacing the file within the server repository as well, using the same file name, the link is not broken but the alias is still showing the original file not the updated one. I'm testing with a simple Word file with just a bit of text on the original file and slightly altered text on the updated version, using the same file name. I've tried refreshing the cron as well as purging the cache. Any other ideas? I'm using 3.1. Thanks, Mark