Coral CDN for distributing the loading of video files?

Coral CDN for distributing the loading of video files?

by Jean Jones Grey -
Number of replies: 5

Has anyone used Coral CDN (Content Distribution Network) with Moodle? We have 15 GB of video that we need to make easier to load for our APAC employees (given that the server is located in the US). 

Rather than having to add a separate server and separate version of Moodle at one of our APAC offices, I was wondering if something like Coral (http://www.coralcdn.org/) would work.

If you do use Coral, could you please clarify how it works? Is it like this:

1. You upload your video content to a Coral server
  2. Then at your LMS server, in the specific Moodle course you add a URL for each video (e.g., that you want available to the Asia office_, where the URL indicates something like:

mywebsite.com.nyud.net/video1.mp4

Or is it much more complicated?

We were looking at CloudFlare; however, their first three payment options (free, $20/mo, and $200/mo) will allow only 100-200 MB uploads, and unfortunately, this won't work for us because many of our mp4s are between 250-300 MB. 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jean Jones Grey

Re: Coral CDN for distributing the loading of video files?

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Jean, Cloudflare is NOT for video, just static content (Images, JS, CSS & HTML), you have to specifically find if the CDN you are using is actually offering Video Content Distribution.

With that said, I am as well sure Coral CDN doesnt offers video content to be delivered, just static. and even its not as easy as you mentioned, you have to setup mod_rewrite configuration for servers and as well plug-ins required for clients accessing it.

For Videos however you can check metacdn.com and cachefly.com as they are into Video CDN and as well I must mention that Video CDN is flawed so some of the operators who at some  point offered Video CDN jumped out of that business. 

If faster content delivery is the goal, why not try Vimeo?

In reply to Usman Asar

by Jean Jones Grey -

Thanks, Usman. I'll check out Vimeo. Their $200/yr plan seems reasonable,  but I'm not if Vimeo is set up so that you can keep your videos hidden from the general public but still enable internal employees to access them through a link on our LMS. The videos would have a lot of technical details about our products and so we'd definitely want to be able to control who could see them.

by Usman Asar -

the $199 is PRO plan you must be mentioning, they do come with hidden from Vimeo by default, means you cannot run the PRO account videos on Vimeo sites  (though you can request one), and of course you can specify which domains are allowed to show/embed videos, and any other domain wont be able to show up the content. 

And forgot to mention, Vimeo is backed-up by Conviva (one of the leading, if not at top) Video CDN providers, they have the biggest names in industry as Clients (Microsoft, ESPN, Disney, Sky, NBO to name a few)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
What is APAC?

And you said "given that the server is located in the US". Why you stress that? Aren't your users not in the US?

And these 15 GB of video? Is it a one time delivery? Or will the users be viewing them over and over? How much is typical? Or are you talking about a (pseudo) streaming service like YouTube oder Vimeo?
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Usman Asar -

Visvanath, APAC is a global call center outsourcing company (If I am not wrong), so one can expect their offices spread over the globe, now the trainees/employees need trainings to use call center equipment/SLA's etc and for that reason they need to deliver videos across globe, where total size of all videos is 15GB and each video is of 200MB average size.