Shared Hosting decision

Shared Hosting decision

by Francisco Lemus -
Number of replies: 12

Hi,

I am begining a project in which I will have around 200 users, not concurrent.

It probably will begin to grow until a limit of about 900 users, and about maybe 200 concurrent ones. Maybe at that time I will migrate to a VPS hosting.

But at first, I need advice about the shared hosting options.

I have read that CrocWeb is a good option, but I would like to know if some of you have good experiences with some others hosting providers.

Thanks for your help.

Francisco

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Francisco Lemus

Re: Shared Hosting decision

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I have personally use following on different moodle installations, plus some other recommendations:

Hostmonster: There are users having trouble using them, but I have been with them for 9 years and havent had any trouble, I had used moodle installation and at times there were 80+ concurrent users uploading assignments and never missed the beat, Only issue with me when I was with them was they only offered shared hosting that time, but a year back they now offer several packages, like Pro hosting, VPS, and Dedicated as well, so you can upgrade as when needed. Unlimited Space & bandwidth. Website HERE.

CrocWeb:  I was recommended CrocWeb at a busy hosting forum, and I went for their Valentine's offer just to see if they are what they claim, & I found them to be worth recommending without any obligations, they though are resellers, but serves are fast, reliable and uptime's been very good. I will recommend them based on LiteSpeed servers, SSD discs, and you have all PHP extensions that Moodle recommend (Like opcache) and as well MariaDB, and I have found  significant improvements on testing moodle site using opcache. Limited Space & Bandwidth. Website HERE.

StableHost: They have same reviews as CrocWeb, their package of Enterprise hosting will handle your even 200-300 concurrent users without hassle. Though i havent personally used them to tell about PHP extensions available. Limited Space & Unlimited bandwidth. Website HERE.

HosterPK: They have same configurations like CrocWeb (in terms of LiteSpeed servers and PHP extensions), though  I am unsure about SSD Discs, they are resellers and are based on several different servers (Like Limestone Networks and many other reliable companies), their rates are cheap and they claim their Unlimited package is as good as an entry level VPS and their Portal Package (you've to order it through email) is as good as a strong VPS. I have seen heavy video websites running on their servers with very good uptime. Unlimited Space & bandwidth. Website HERE.

Hostwinds: They have LiteSpeed servers and as per their claim, their Business Hosting (started from just $5) is as good as their Level5 VPS, Unlimited Space & bandwidth with Dedicated IP Address (thats recommended). Website HERE.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Usman Asar

by Francisco Lemus -

Thanks Usman,

Your answer is very complete and really helpful.

Each and every one sound great.

Some moments ago I contacted the sales support of CrocWeb and they told me that they limit to 50 simultaneos database connections for each moodle instance. At first I have no problem with that, but I think that in time maybe it can be a problem.

I'm going to check the Website of every recommendation you make so I can take the right decision.

Thanks a lot!!

by Usman Asar -

50 Connections is a lot which can be compared to any business hosting genre, only issue with CrocWeb is Un Managed VPS at highest level, and for current packages, you have limited space and bandwidth, whilst some of others offer limited space but unlimited bandwidth, and whilst 3 offer Unlimited in Both Categories.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Kate Phillips -

Thank you, Usman.

I really appreciate your response. I will probably choose CrocWeb.

In reply to Kate Phillips

by Saša Stamenković -

Shared hosting really isn't a good solution for any MOODLE e-learning infrastructure. If you are on shared host you can't be sure how many users can MySQL database handle before you run tests.You may use JMeter to simulate the number of concurrent users... For this purpose I advise you to purchase the server for a short period of time in order to run the necessary tests. You can purchase a really fast configuration, but if its configured to handle max 15 concurrent users, than you will receive an error: "Database connection failed...” The Apache will still work, but your users would have to wait for the MySQL server to be functional again. Finally, poor hardware selection can only cause problems. For instance, what would happen if you would want to install additional PHP library via SSH shell on the shared host?

So, think about virtual or dedicated solutions first before making a huge mistake.

In reply to Saša Stamenković

by Usman Asar -
Sasa, You're absolutely right saying shared hostings are not a good choice for Moodle hosting, but consider this, you are starting as a teacher and setting up Moodle privately, in start you have handful of students which will increase as time progresses, now shared hosting can perfectly handle students upto 200-300 (I have taught 3 courses with 350 students enrolled on shared host). with  that many students where student number will increase over time where will you start? spending less than $10 for Moodle presence or flushing out $300 so that you're investment outcome equalizes after 6-8 months time?

Now in between, you can have choice of VPS which wont cost as much as a dedicated server, but the HostWinds's  Business class servers costing as low as $5 a month, are good enough to meet upto level 4 VPS which is costing $30 (This is claimed by HostWinds themselves), now they could have easily said VPS is more powerful making more money, yet they straight away told in order to see upgraded performance from a business class shared hosting, one must upgrade to no less than Level-5 VPS ($35), and on top of VPS/Dedicated's price, you have to have knowledge of Server security, CPanel licences.

Its always good to start with Shared and upgrade as when you feel required.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

...other VPS providers are available!

You (the OP) could always try contacting a Moodle Partner wink

In reply to Usman Asar

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Usman, I agree 100% with what you are say, mainly because that is exactly how I got into Moodle.  I started with a shared hosting plan, 4 courses, about 50 students, and found that Moodle worked just fine.  I was able to also begin my learning curve with Moodle.

After about two years, I needed to upgrade to a VPS because my database outgrew the shared hosting plan's database specs.

I still run my Moodle, myself, on a VPS and it works just fine.

In reply to Usman Asar

by john Simpson -

Usman, you talk sense. I totally agree with you. Those individuals who are completely new to moodle and who have no experience in browsing within moodle are not likely to suddenly commit themselves to any serious costs. And getting themselves a domain and website for a few pounds a month and installing their own moodle will be their first step.

After browsing moodle, testing it, and allowing their business to grow, they will by then have the experience to do what's next. It's a learning experience.

In reply to Kate Phillips

by Usman Asar -

Kate, how's your experience with Croc going so far?

and also, 50 concurrent means 50 connections in an instance, one could have 3000 active users on site but doesn't means all 3000 are fetching data from database,  database connection opens only as when requested, so limit of 50 doesn't means one can serve only 50 visitors. Should have mentioned this earlier to Francisco and all others concerned. 

by Alan Kmiecik -

wherever you go, ask about limits.  I have yet to find one that does not limit you somehow.  You'll get all kinds of "unlimited" talk up front then run into things like you did with a limit on the number of database connections.

Hostmonster has a limit on the number total tables allowed.  Really, really liked these guys for a long time.  They are currently going through support issues (which is why they were so good).

Ran into a limit on Hostgator but forget what it was.

Webhostinghub, asked them specifically for limits, they said there were none.   Now they are limiting me on the CPU utilization.  THAT is a problem since Theme Designer Mode is apparently messed up and sucks up CPU big time (and for the 'Kens' out there, I need it to design my theme)

In reply to Alan Kmiecik

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

First, good advice about checking providers limits/limitations.

Since you 'rattled my tree' here concerning designer mode others might not understand .... so ...

On the screen where one turns designer mode on:

"Normally all theme images and style sheets are cached in browsers and on the server for a very long time, for performance. If you are designing themes or developing code then you probably want to turn this mode on so that you are not served cached versions. Warning: this will make your site slower for all users! Alternatively, you can also reset the theme caches manually from the Theme selection page."

While it doesn't say or warn that turning it on might push some limits of some providers (no way Moodle HQ will do that much leg work), it does say it will make a site slower and gives an alternative.

Ok, it's 'broke', for sure it doesn't perform as you'd like it.   Please feel free to submit a tracker issue on it but don't hold your breath ... don't think that issue will be given any higher order in the que of things that need fixing.   Thus the advice of: when NOT needing it, turn it off makes sense to me.

Just trying to help out ... 

'spirit of thinkering', Ken